1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by troyz, Feb 13, 2013.

1. troyz

troyz New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    The hard drive in my Tivo HD was upgraded 5 years ago to a 1TB drive. Because of the age of the drive I would like to replace it with a new drive before it fails.

I purchased a WD20EURS 2TB drive. I know that I cannot get more than 1TB of space.

Do I just use WINMFS with this command:

backup -qTao - /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -xzpi - /dev/sdb

I know I need to make sure that sda and sdb are the correct drives.

Thanks.

2. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    You can get the whole 2TB of space.
    Unfortunately, I do not know how it's done.

However Unitron should chime in soon.
    He(?) knows how; and from what I recall it will be easier starting with a 1TB drive.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, you do not need to type any commands with WinMFS, it is not a linux based program, but you would need to run it in windows with administrator.

4. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You can also use jmfs, which is a Linux-based boot CD with a friendly front end.

I think if you use WinMFS, you can get slightly more space overall, but it's even more geeky.

5. troyz

troyz New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Thanks now I'm hoping someone will know if I can expand beyond the 1TB.

I'll look at jmfs and winmfs.

6. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Based on the apparent success of someone I recently handheld through the upgrade process on an S3 HD, I'm going to say--

As long as you aren't using a GigaByte brand motherboard, hook the 1TB and the EURS to a PC running Windows XP or newer with WinMFS installed (where installed means that winmfs.exe is on the PC's hard drive somewhere, you don't actually have to "install" it), and run WinMFS as administrator.

Click select drive, choose the 1TB.

Click mfscopy.

Tell it you want to copy to the 2TB.

Suggest you enter the value 1024 in the swap partition size box--can't hurt, might help, it's only 15 minutes worth of video, space-wise.

Let it run.

Eventually it'll finish.

Decline the offer to expand, shut down, test the 2TB in the TiVo.

If all is well, hook it back up to the PC (you no longer need the 1TB hooked up), run WinMFS, select the 2TB, click on mfsadd, tell it to exceed 1.2TB for a partition size.

Before you do any of that, make sure the TiVo is already running version 11.0k of the software--look at the system information page in the menus.

Also before you do that, run the WD diagnostics long test on the EURS just to be sure nothing's wrong with it.

If you feel you have to use the jmfs method instead, look at the 1TB with WinMFS, click on mfsinfo, check the partition map, and make sure it doesn't have a 16th Apple Free partition on the end of the drive, otherwise jmfs will copy that as well and when it adds a single partition it will violate the "only 16 partitions per any single drive" rule which TiVos obey.

Only if you're bound and determined to use jmfs and you have an Apple Free partition on the 1TB should you consider the hex editing mentioned in LUSSIE's post, and then you should copy to the 2TB first and do the editing on it and not on the 1TB--leave the 1TB unwritten to in any way for safety's sake. Think of it as read-only.

8. troyz

troyz New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Wow thanks for the very detailed instructions. I will try this tomorrow and will let you know what happens.

Does anyone know how long a full 1TB will take to backup on average? (Couple hours, overnight?)

I'll just use winmfs.

Thanks again.

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Copying the 1TB to the 2TB will take more than a couple of hours, but you really should do the long test on the 2TB first.

There may have been some that slipped past quality control recently.

The WD diagnostic is available from the WD site as a bootable cd image, and is included on the Ultimate Boot CD, as well.

10. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you don't need to save any recordings, you might want to consider doing a fresh image install instead of a copy from the old drive. You can also use a SATA to USB adapter cable(s) if you don't want to break open your desktop PC.

11. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I may suggest deleting all of the stuff in the recently deleted section on the drive. No point in backing up/copying all of that data!

12. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Can you run the WD long test on a drive hooked up using one of these adapter cables?

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think it needs to be hooked directly to one of the ports on the motherboard, although you could try it via USB and it won't break anything if it doesn't work.

14. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I've done it. The only program I've seen in the Forums that I can't run using a USB cable is WDIDLE.

15. troyz

troyz New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Success! 287 HD hours!

I used Winmfs and followed Unitron's instructions. I did do the long test with wd utility. I let it run overnight.

The copy process took about 4 1/2 hours in an external sata dock. I'll keep the old drive as a backup.

Thanks Unitron and everyone else who replied.

16. rayman2

rayman2 New Member

May 22, 2009
    Thanks for the info!

17. rayman2

rayman2 New Member

May 22, 2009
    Many thanks for your help and info. I replaced a dead drive with your instructions and the reformatting assistance. You saved me much $$$ Hats off to you!!!!

18. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm tempted to set up a tip jar at PayPal, but even I am not capable of being that tacky.

19. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    May I suggest the purchase a six pack of your favorite adult beverage at the local BevMo, under your name for pickup.