1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Sending RF and IR Signals

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by midson, Jan 16, 2014.

1. midson

midson New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    My roamio is tucked away and needs an RF signal to operate. My remote MOSTLY send RF signals (green light on top of remote) but every once in awhile will send an IR signal (red light at top of remote) which doesn't work for my setup. I have to push the buttons a few times then all of a sudden it switches back to RF. Has anyone else experienced this? I went thru the pairing process and thought it was RF only. Is there a way to turn off IR altogether?

2. dmaneyapanda

dmaneyapanda Member

Jan 16, 2000
    princeton,nj
    Yes, there are other threads about this. It switches to IR when it senses (I'm not sure how) that RF isn't working for some reason (possibly interference from other RF devices).

There were some suggestions to move your WiFi router channels around iirc, but none of these steps worked for me.

There isn't a way to turn off IR, but even if there were it wouldn't solve your problem, which is only happening when RF isn't working for some reason anyway.

I recall hearing that some fixes for this were in an earlier update, but I continued to experience this issue. Maybe there will be more fixes in a future release.

I also ended up getting a slide remote, and seem to experience the issue much less now.

3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    As mentioned, several of us have experienced this. I'm doubtful of RF interference being the issue. There has to be an issue with either the remote, or the Tivo RF sensor/software given the scale of those affected.

Honestly, I bet it happens to more people than realize since most people instinctively point the remote at the Tivo most of the time. Unless your always looking at the light on the remote, it would be easy to miss the fact that RF went out for a button press.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My TiVo Slide Pro Remote is usually pointed into the couch or pointed at a 90 degree angle from the TV depending on what room I'm watching in. I don't even normally point IR remotes toward the device since most devices have good IR reception so they don't need to be pointed at the device.

5. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Got the same issue here, TiVo has already sent me a new remote, it didn't make a difference, (No surprise there) Now support wants to replace the unit.... UH, NO, there is nothing wrong with the unit and

1) I don't know what I'll get as a replacement
    2) I don't expect any difference in operation
    3) how many times will they swap the unit for the same problem?

support for consumer products is a joke!

6. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC

I'm not sure exactly what you want them to do. The only way to know FOR SURE that it isn't a problem caused by the unit is to swap it out and see if another unit experiences the exact same problem.

7. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    When you consider that the one the roamio stops responding via rf it takes a single ir command to wake the communications up allowing rf to work again, that too me is a software bug not a hardware issue.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But if it were a software bug, wouldn't most people have an issue? I can go anywhere in my condo and the remote will stay in Rf mode. I need to go outside my condo and away to see them switch to IR.