1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote RF Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Am_I_Evil, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil Member

Apr 7, 2009
    So lets say you have 2 Roamio Plus/Pros...each in a different room but the rooms are very close...will the remotes conflict and control each or do they each use their own "frequency/address/whatever" so it will only work for the one it came with?

2. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
  3. Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil Member

Apr 7, 2009

i know that exists...i was just curious as these new remotes were RF if they came "paired" to that specific box already or not...

4. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    My expectation (based on nothing more than that it is simpler on the mfg side) is that out of the box any remote will control any Roamio. But really only a WAG.

michael

5. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    They automatically pair themselves when you first use the remote. I would do one at a time (ie one box on and one box off) during the initial pair ... Then you're be fine thereafter. They can be easily switched to IR if you want too.

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    A friend tried this and said assigning the remote address didn't work. Because of the RF, the TiVo button kicks you back to the main menu. Before you would just cover the IR blaster.

He said he tried going out of range, but it never turned from amber to red to input a new address.

7. dmaneyapanda

dmaneyapanda Member

Jan 16, 2000
    princeton,nj
    If you push-and-hold pause first, then the tivo button, you don't have this issue. The remote seems to into the proper mode (the light comes on and stays on), and then you can click the number you want, and the light flashes then goes out (so far so good), but clicking "right" does not set the tivo to change to showing that it will receive only that remote code.

Luckily for me, I only have one Roamio, but I do have 2 other series 2's that I'm trying to make sure don't get messed up.

I didn't know the RF automatically paired. That's pretty cool.

8. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    What you have to do on the Roamio is switch it to IR mode first. It doesn't seem to work in RF mode.

Switch to IR TiVo+C, follow precious steps Pause/TiVo on System Info and enter number then hit right, and then switch back to RF, TiVo+D

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2719

9. dmaneyapanda

dmaneyapanda Member

Jan 16, 2000
    princeton,nj
    That worked great. Thanks!

10. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    The Roamio remote has nice distance, I am 2 rooms away and can still control it.

11. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    Does anyone know where the ir sensor is on the front panel???

12. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I put my Slingbox IR blaster right in front of the TiVo Logo on my Roamio Plus. Seems to be working just fine.

13. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
  14. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Facing the Roamio the IR sensor is just to the left of the TiVo center logo

15. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
  16. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I am not sure how to do that.

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I don't think you have to do anything for a Roamio to work with IR. I setup my Roamio (basic model) using it's RF remote, however my other TiVos IR remotes also worked until I changed the remote address on my Roamio.