1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote mishaps

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MBlaustein, Dec 20, 2002.

1. MBlaustein

MBlaustein New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Hi all-

has anyone else experienced this one? While using the DOWN arrows on my HDVR2 remote, the IR signal is often "confused" with one for my Zenith TV. So, my tv will switch to SOURCE mode or change channels from 3 to 2. This happens 1 out of lets say 25 presses on the button. Anyone know a solution for this?
    thanks

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    It's a well known problem with Zenith tv's, change the remote address of your tivo.

3. MBlaustein

MBlaustein New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Thanks for the information! I had been contemplating getting a different TV because of this...Before I go digging through the manual, is this something thats fairly easy to do through the setup screens?
    Thanks again!

4. mattster28

mattster28 New Member

Sep 25, 2002
    yep, i have the same problem...but with my panasonic tv

5. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    1. MENU> MESSAGES & SETUP> SYSTEM INFO

2. scroll down to REMOTE ADDRESS

3. point the remote away from the receiver, press and hold PAUSE & TIVO(or DIRECTV key) until the red light remains on

4. press one of the #'s on the remote between 1-9( or if a Sony 1-3), that changes the remote to a new address.

5. now point the remote towards the receiver, press the right directional button, this changes the receiver.

Never leave one tivo on any part of the INFO screen, when using remote for another, it will change to that remotes address.

6. MBlaustein

MBlaustein New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Chicago
    thanks Edmund! I'll give it a shot!

7. is2scooby

is2scooby New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Honolulu, HI
    Had this problem, did a search, found this thread, used the steps listed, problem solved!

The Tivo community hard at work!

Mahalo (Thank You) Guys!

8. IronChefX

IronChefX New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Worked for me too :)

Was this in the instruction manual?

9. djtravis

djtravis New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Lockport, IL
    I had the same probem with my Zenith TV, found this thread, followed the steps as outlined by Edmund, and the problem is solved!! I will print this page and put it in the manual.

Thank you very much TiVo community for this thread.

10. joec1936

joec1936 New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Apache...
    Does this work on the blue DirecTV universal remote? Mine doesn't have a
    tivo button or a red lite, other than the deevice selection buttons, such as TV, SAT, VCR, and AUX. Is there a button that means TIVO but is labeled differently?

11. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    Sorry, but no, the blue remote from DTV only has the default address "0", which is what causing the conflict with the zenith. You'll need a true peanut remote to change addesses.

12. Tivorella

Tivorella New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    This is a great thread! It worked for my Zenith tv!

13. SpeedNut

SpeedNut New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    PA
    This thread will save me from the only real frustration I've had with my new TiVo in the first 24 hours of ownership, faaaaaantastic :) :up: :)

14. Reactor Breach

Reactor Breach New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Would a moderator please put this thread permanently at the top or at least near to it. Maybe add "erroneous remote signals" to the title if it can be done. I too experienced TV input and channel changes while attempting to 'scroll' down lists. Even after changing the code once thanks to the information on this post after rapid pressing of the down arrow I'd change the channel; I had to change it again to clear up all problems and now it works wonderfully.

I say Thank You to this forum!

15. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
  16. TheatreWiz

TheatreWiz New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    >4.while pointing the remote towards the receiver, press
    >one of the #'s between 1-9( or if a Sony 1-3), that changes
    >the remote to a new address.

Anything special about the new Pioneer DVR-810H? Still any # 1-9?

17. nhow

nhow New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Edmund,

Many thanks for pointing me to this thread. I shall try the advice after work tonight. Too bad the tech people at Samsung don't seem to know any of this!!! They might be able to help users instead of just saying "too bad, it's just a glitch!"

Nancy

18. nhow

nhow New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Oh oh, I may not have solved the problem after all. I reread the instructions you offered for reprogramming the remote address, also another post about DirectTV tivo (which is what I have) and realised there is no TIVO button on my remote (only the blue DirectTV button that takes you into the menu system). Any work arounds to this?

Thanks!

Nancy

19. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    Tivo button is the same as the Directv button, you do have the peanut shaped remote?

20. PAP

PAP New Member

Oct 6, 1999
    Ohio
    I'm having a related problem addressing remotes - can anyone here please check this thread . Please!