1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Control programming

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by faxman, Dec 12, 2013.

1. faxman

faxman New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MA
    How can I use my Tivo remote to change my TV's input selection? All I can see how to do is to VIEW the input table on my Olevia TV, but not change the selection. I know I can change it on my Panasonic TV by pressing the INPUT button multiple times. Is there any trick I can play for my Olevia TV?

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    If the original oem remote can't use a single key to go from input to input, then there is nothing the TiVo remote can do to change this.

3. faxman

faxman New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MA
    What if I buy a Tivo learning remote?

4. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    You can only teach to like 7 keys, power, input, ch up & down, volume up & down, and mute. How many more tv commands are needed to navigate the on-screen menu?

5. faxman

faxman New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MA
    3 more: inputup, inputdown, and select. Doesn't sound like a new Tivo remote would solve my problem.

6. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    If you were only looking for a particular input, there could be discrete command for that input, a UEI/OFA remote using advanced codes(EFC), could get you that input command, and then teach it to key on learning TiVo remote. If not the input key itself, possibly mute key instead.

If you have say UEI made cable remote or ofa remote with tv code 11610 on board, these are the advanced codes for the input commands:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=60707#60707

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Try other codes for the same brand, frequently one of the alternatives will have a "next input" instead of bringing up the menu if the set can't respond to it.

8. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    If there's a code for the olevia, which for many years there wasn't, there will only be one. And you should be thankful for that.

9. faxman

faxman New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MA
    Thanks for the feedback, but I think it's just too much bother for me. I like the Tivo remote, and I have 2 other Tivos. If I were going to spend $ on a new remote I'd probably just buy a new TV that had an input switch that was Tivo-compatible like my Panasonic. I'll just live with having to use the TV remote for the few times I switch to Roku on that one TV.