1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reformatting DVR Expander to use with Windows

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tamon77, Jul 10, 2011.

1. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Is there a way to format the drive and use with Windows? I have it hooked it via esata drive, I can see it in devices and printers, but it is not accessible through Windows Explorer as a drive. Any suggestions?

2. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
  3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Assuming WinVista/Win7... Can you see the drive through Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management?

If so, right click on each partition, and "delete volume" ... after you've done that you should have an empty drive that you can partition and format through Disk Management.

4. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Can a dvr expander be used to replace a drive in a tivo?

5. jlb

jlb NCC-1701-D

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    You know....my old 500gb expander is sitting collecting dust. It was crapping out and I replaced with an upgraded internal drive. But it might only be one or two bad sectors that the kickstart utilities couldn't repair.

I might try and reformat mine for windows usage/storage.

6. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I know you've solved the problem, but people in a similar spot might want to check out gparted, a Linux boot disk/partition manager (free):

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

It does everything you need pretty easily and you can format your large external drives with FAT32, something Windows Disk manager won't do. A FAT32 external drive will work across many platforms where an NTFS partition won't. My TV has a media player app and USB port -- normally used for thumb drives to play downloaded video. But if you have a 500 GB external drive formatted with FAT32, suddenly a huge collection is plug and play.