1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RedBox Instant on Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by aaronwt, Nov 30, 2012.

1. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Any word on when RedBox Instant streaming will show up on the Premiere?
    Didn't the TiVo and Verizon settlement agreement include adding the RedBox/Verizon streaming service to the TiVos?

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    They had some wording where if Verizon met a deadline before the end of December I believe they wouldn't owe a portion. I want to say it was 26 million. It could be Redbox Instant or it could have something to do with their home media server.

3. Dec 1, 2012 #3 of 39
    celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Word is redbox will start on december17 for around $6.00 a month for streaming and $8.00 a month for disc rental at 1 per week,But i havent seen anything as to if tivo will have this service at startup.

4. Jan 3, 2013 #4 of 39
  5. Jan 3, 2013 #5 of 39
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Why the indirect link?

Direct Link: http://www.redbox.com/instant?hp:pa:auth:jvinstant

Of course the service isn't available yet and all you can do is sign up to be notified when they go live.

6. Jan 3, 2013 #6 of 39
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Neither one of the above links addresses the actual question.

7. Jan 3, 2013 #7 of 39
    HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010
    The disc plan doesn't sound appealing.
    Better to just rent from kiosk?

Streaming sounds interesting .
    Already have amazon prime and Netflix .
    Don't want to loose those because of
    tv seasons.

Paying $120/month for fios prime/75Mb Internet.
    $79/yr Amazon and $7.99/month for Netflix .

8. Jan 3, 2013 #8 of 39
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The disc plan is renting from the kiosk. It covers four rentals a month from a RedBox Kiosk. Which by itself is worth $4.80 a month based on the price of their DVD rentals.

9. Jan 3, 2013 #9 of 39
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Actually the info they sent me said one month streaming would be $8 and that included 4 Redbox DVD rentals or $9 per month with 4 Redbox Blu-ray rentals. But what matters is what content they have available which is a unknown at this point.

If Tivo will support their streaming service or not is a good question - I haven't seen anything on what devices will support the service yet so there is still hope.

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    From the press release:

At launch, Redbox Instant by Verizon will be offered via the web, as well as through home entertainment, tablet and mobile devices, including iOS®, Android™, Samsung® Blu-ray Players and TVs with SmartHub™, LG Smart TV and Blu-ray Players, and Google TV. More devices will be announced in the coming months.

I assume Roku is on their hitlist. TiVo, not sure. The settlement with Verizon adds to the intrigue, without that I'd say no.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I haven't rented a physical disc in years. I had a Netflix 2 at a time plan for a while but I was taking months to watch the discs so I canceled it. Now when the mood strikes me to rent something I check Amazon or VUDU and pay the $5.

I just got a new Samsung TV with SmartHub so I might check it out once it goes live.

Dan

12. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Each to his own, but you are paying 5X what I do and I get a higher quality video.

But then I only rent maybe 2 movies a month so we are not talking about any real money and just renting from Amazon would take less planning, be a little easier, and there would be no issues with selection.

I go buy several redboxes at stores I shop at all the time plus they send me coupons several times per month.

It ends up costing my $1 for blu-ray disk with the coupon, I pick the disk out on line before I go out, I return the disk the next morning again at a store I am going to for other reasons anyway.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I rent maybe 1-2 movies a month, and it's typically a last minute decision made late at night when I'm bored. So for me the download/streaming model is much more convenient. I know it costs more, but not having to physically drive to a store/kiosk to pick it up is worth the extra money. If I rented more frequently I could see where it might add up but for my usage pattern $4-5 a movie isn't a big deal.

Dan

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I end up renting from multiple sources. Netflix, Blockbuster, 3d-blurayrental, Redbox, Vudu, Amazon, Xbox live, and as a last resort, PSN. All titles are not available from everyone. So the more choices available the better. I plan on trying out RedBox Instant when they launch as well.

It's certainly a good deal if you can get four BD rentals plus streaming each month for only $9. It makes me wonder how bad their streaming offerings will be. That price just seems too cheap since four RedBox BD rentals are normally $6.

15. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I'm thinking they just want to try and establish an initial customer base and/or a name for themselves. Then once they get more content, subscribers and make the service much more appealing, will slowly jack the rate up. Maybe not as fast as Netflix did last year (60% increase), but still to a point to make it more profitable.

I submitted both @hotmail.com and @verizon.net e-mail addresses to their website thinking they might give @verizon.net customers priority for beta testing. Sure enough, I got an e-mail in my Verizon inbox stating they will be handing out invitation codes soon & be on the look out. However, I didn't get anything in my Hotmail account yet. They say it will be 30 days to try it so once I get my code, I plan to subscribe and will try to report back here.

16. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Just a note for anyone on the fence if you sign up you will eventually get an email with a free DVD rental (or $1 off a blu-ray) while you are waiting for the beta service to start.

Wish there was a way to tell them we want the service supported on TiVos

17. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Yea, I actually got this free DVD rental code. Might use it this weekend. I too wish and hope TiVo is supported, but I'm not putting up high hopes for this. Hell, it looks like their initial roll out of supported devices will simply be PCs, smartphone and tablets (iPad and android). That is fine and dandy, but sometimes I STILL like watching something on my 50" Panasonic Plasma :p

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's a $1.20 credit toward a BD rental. I used one of my codes with my last BD rental. It was 32 cents with taxes for me.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

19. slacker9876

slacker9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Colorful...
    Just casting my ballot so that TiVo folks know I too want the RedBox on my Tivo

20. herbf

herbf Executive Member

Oct 21, 2002
    NJ
    I'd like to see support for RBI also.