1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording a show from the mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by ah30k, Jun 20, 2013.

1. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pretty basic scenario - One Premiere-4 and one mini. One tuner allocated to the mini.

Say I have three recordings scheduled on the P4's three tuners then go over to the mini.

I get that it can watch live because it has its allocated fourth tuner. Can I use the mini to record that fourth show? Does that just force the mini to stay tuned to the fourth recording?

The situation I want to do is record three on the P4 then go up to the mini and schedule a fourth. Can this be done?

Thanks

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No. By allocating 1 to the Mini that tuner is off limits for recording on the P4 and can only be used for live TV for the Mini. i.e. Your P4 is now a 3 tuner unit for the purposes of recording.

3. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    But I am asking if the mini then becomes a 1-tuner TiVo which can record 1 show. I'm guessing from your response the answer is no.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No it cannot. The way TiVo implemented things the Mini can only use a tuner which is not recording anything.
    To accomplish what you want you can dedicate 0 tuners to the Mini and then if you want to watch something with the Mini that is not already recorded you can use the Mini guide to schedule a recording on your P4 and then use MRS with Mini as a client to watch it - i.e. You can get close to live TV that way and yet still have 4 tuners to record from on your P4.

5. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Hmm... interesting. I'll have to check with the wife and daughter to let them choose the behavior they desire. Pretty simple trade-off to choose: extra tuner for recording POSITIVE traded for inconvenience of extra step of record/delete for viewing NEGATIVE. Let them choose.

Thanks.