1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recorder just stops

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ukerin, Jul 28, 2012.

1. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I have an older model Phillips DSR 708 (I think it is )and the same thing has happened several times I am recording a show and it just stops all of the sudden.It not only happens to shows that I manually put in but it also happens to shows that I have a Season Pass for .Could my TO DO LIST being really full have something to do with what is going on?

2. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I wouldn't think it's the "To Do" list unless you have overlapping entries. Does that model have a "Recently Deleted" list in "Now Playing"? If so, then try permanently deleting those items. Have you actually benn watching it when it stops recording? One reason for an interrupted recording is a reset which may point to a hard drive issue. The only other think I might recommend is a "Clear and Delete Everything" but then you would lose your recordings and Season Passes.

3. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    It does have Recently deleted in the Now Playing list but there is hardly anything in it .Yes I have been in the room when it goes off.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go to the to do list and check the recording history and see if it says anything about the shows.

5. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    If it is always stopping just a few minutes early it could be the "overlap protection". If it is more than a few minutes then it isn't that.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    First I think we have to be sure everyone is using the same definintion of "stop".

7. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I mat not have made it clear it does not happnen all the time just some shows.I have checked the TO DOLIST but it never says anything about what the problem is.And overlapping is not the issue.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I said go to the To Do list, check recording history, and see if it says ANYTHING about those shows where it "stopped".

I also said we need a common definition of "stopped". Let's start with yours.

Do you mean the red recording light went out, and when you go to Now Playing it lists the length as "partial"?

Do you mean the picture on the screen freezes?

Do you mean the TiVo spontaneously reboots?

9. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I had the same happen a while (I forget how long ago about four months ago I guess)and I am having it again when I watch something I tivoed and when I watch live TV the sound cuts out and the picture freezes.And now recorder goes through the rebooting process randomly.It has happened about 6 time the last couple hours.By the way ,Phillips Series 2 DSR 708.

10. ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    unitron did you see my response.It has rebooted many times today.

11. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Sounds like a dying hard drive or power supply.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I saw where I asked you a bunch of questions back in July in an attempt to be of help to you and never got a response.