1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record Padding

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Bphagan, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    One thing I was hoping Tivo would implement is a little better padding support.
    Not as much of a problem with 6 tuners now, but with 4 tuners it was an issue.

What I would like to see is if 2 shows back to back on the same channel are set to record and you have a 1 minute pre and post show padding, it will use 2 tuners during the overlap period.

Tivo should be able to use one channel and save the pre/post overlap to both recordings.
    This would mean the 2 minutes of show 1 would be the same as the first 2 minutes of show 2.
    Then you only use 1 tuner.

Also, I would like to have an option to drop the padding from a recording if all tuners are used instead of using priority to handle overlap.
    I would much rather record the entire time slot and not the padding than miss the first minute of a show due to priority when the padding isn't always necessary.

Another scenario is I add 1 hr padding to Amazing Race and Mentalist due to CBS football overruns when they show a game at 4pm (east coast).
    On Sundays where there isn't a late game, I would like to remove/reduce the padding since it won't be necessary to record and waste space.
    Is it possible to change individual record settings for a Season Pass?

I hope I was clear in my descriptions.

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    1) might be coming soon
    2) turn on overlap protection
    3) yes
  3. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    I would like to be able to use padding for shortening recordings. Lots of news shows in the morning are 4 hours long, but they repeat the same news every 30 mins or so.

I'd like to set padding to stop recording 'x hours early'
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Use a manual recording
  5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Just set the SP to only keep one or two episodes. When I switched from two Elites with 4TB of storage to a Roamio Pro with only 3TB of storage, I had to make a change to all of my news SPs. Instead of keeping five episodes I now only keep two, Otherwise my storage will get over 95% full. By making the change I can keep it down in the low 80's and not have to worry about marking certain shows to keep so they won't get deleted.
  6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What you've got is the "apparently no one at TiVo ever watched 60 Minutes on the East Coast" blues.

If they'd let you schedule stuff to start late or early and end late or early and still retain the label of the show you're actually recording, it would help.
  7. alauppe

alauppe New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    couldn't agree more...