1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record new only

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DeltaOne, Sep 29, 2013.

1. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    New Roamio Plus owner. I have my season passes set to record new only but the To Do list shows scheduled recordings for shows we watched in the previous weeks. 12 repeats were recorded the first full day we had the Roamio. Anyone know why?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It considers anything with an original air date less then 2 weeks old as "new". Normally it has a 28 day history to prevent recording shows you've already watched but with a new TiVo that history isn't there so for the first week or so you'll get some repeats of episodes that aren't technically first runs. It'll even out in a couple of weeks.

3. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Yes, "new" to the Tivo isn't just those shows that say "new" in the guide. It does some logic like: if it originally aired during the last 28 days, and this box hasn't recorded it yet (checks a history log), then record it.

I had the same experience originally, but I've been using it over a month now and so that period has past for me.

Also if you look at the to-do list you might see scheduled recordings of repeats and other things that don't make sense say a week out. Eventually, as the days get closer Tivo figures out the correct things to record.

4. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Great info, thanks!

I was looking at the To Do list and saw two recordings that didn't make sense -- turns out they were talk shows with guests that appear on shows we do record. So the Tivo is doing some fuzzy logic and recording a show. We have Suggestions turned off -- so this behavior surprised me.

5. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    You mean they did away with the "first run only" option on the Roamio??

6. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    No.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do you have Wish Lists setup for those actors?

8. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Quite possibly, yes.

Set the Roamio up three days ago, and entered our Season Passes. For the shows not airing now we put them in the Wish List. We figured that putting them in the Wish List would mean they would get recorded when they air next season and that we wouldn't need to remember to enter them at a later date. Correct?

9. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    If you want matching programs to automatically record, you need to set the WishList to autorecord.

10. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I'll check the auto-record option on our Wish List.

What's the best way to deal with Wish List items once they begin airing? Set the options to a Season Pass or does that happen automatically?

11. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    WishLists are automatically set to appear in Season Pass. However, you must specify recording options such as auto-record, first run/repeat airings, how many episodes to keep, keep until dates, etc.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    On the Roamio platform, wishlists record by default. There's no option to disable this when creating a wishlist but you can go back and turn it off.