1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record 1 minute over endtime automatically?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bcfedee, Mar 28, 2014.

1. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Often I have Tivo record a show from the GUIDE. I click the show and tap record. Nice and simple, until I watch what was recorded. The show ended like 30 seconds after the official end time.

Is there a way to get Tivo to automatically record (pad) 1 minute of extra record time at the end of shows? Basically, everything I record I want padded with 1 minute before & after the official start time.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. I've just gotten into the habit of going into the options and padding everything by 1 minute. I wish there were a default recording options section where you could setup the defaults for settings like these so you didn't have to enter them every time.

3. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Yeah. It is so annoying to always have to go into options. I always thought it was cool how you could just click Record and you're done. Not an option unfortunately when you need padding.

4. GmanTiVo

GmanTiVo give me more options

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    +! `:up:

I have VZ FIOS in north NJ and always need a 1 min. padding since all of FIOS broadcast (no matter what channel) ends 30 seconds later.:eek:

I would LOVE for an across the board +30 sec., +1min. , etc, etc. default selection in Recording Options Menu. :cool:

5. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    someone sent me a page where you can request this. Maybe if enough people send the request Tivo will update the software to support it: http://advisors.tivo.com/wix9/p2272893819.aspx

Seems like a setting could exist that would record 1 minute over all recordings end-time.

6. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    The Directv DVRs automatically start early and end late as long as it doesn't cause a conflict. I believe it's 30 seconds early and 1 minute late. People have been requesting this from Tivo since the series 1.

7. jollygrunt777

jollygrunt777 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Republic of...
    The time warner dvr has gotten a lot better at recording shows with odd start/end times. I still wish these dang broadcasters would stop doing the start early/end late thing.

8. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Same. I wish it was smarter about killing off padding as tuner conflicts started occurring as well. I can almost always accommodate everything if I remove padding on the rare occasion their appears to be a conflict.

9. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Tuner conflicts should be less of an issue now because some new Roamios have 6 tuners. Seems there should at least be a setting for automatic padding on Roamios.

10. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    True. But on my Premiere, we occasionally do have tuner conflicts.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though ironically, they finally made abutting recordings use the same tuner, which currently has a well known glitch.

Ironically since I agree that the more tuners lessens the need for sharing a tuner.

12. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Yikes! Maybe I shouldn't get the Roamio. This sounds like a bad idea. My current Tivo uses a different tuner (far as I know).

Seems like auto-padding would eliminate this problem though. Since a show is being recorded over by a minute or so, another tuner would have to be used to start another recording on-time.

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    This is called soft-padding. It's one of the few things I like better on my DirecTV DVR than my TiVos.

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, it's not a bad idea, IF it works properly. I tend to record a lot of network shows back to back, and for me, this _essentially_ doubles the number of tuners I have.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Plus if they can get it to work right then they could automatically pad all shows and worry less about that padding causing a conflict.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No issues here on FiOS. It's rare that the shows end late and I need padding. Now at my parents on Comcast, all their stuff seems to end late for some reason. Even when watching FiOS content remotely on my cellphone from Slingbox while at their house. I am still ahead of the shows they are watching on Comcast. For some reason their cable system has a long delay from the live broadcast.

17. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I've seen cable systems that have huge delays from OTA. I'm talking 15-30 seconds (not sure exactly how much, but it was a LOT).

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  19. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
  20. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    However that's exactly what the OP asked for, and Tivo has delivered :)
    With a Roamio Pro and 6 tuners I have no problem setting it up to give everything a 1 min auto-pad