1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recently Deleted

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cannonz, Jul 28, 2012.

1. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Should I permanently delete shows in recently deleted file (S2 DT's), or just let it get filled?

2. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Just leave it, if you ever want to see a show again you can always get it back from there.

Plus, I think you would just be taking out the reference to it on the drive, so it would still be there anyways.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It is 100% optional. Whether you do or not, Tivo's performance is unaffected.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    There are many many many threads on this. No need to do anything. It does not impact any recordings, including suggestions.

Some people delete them with religious fervor. Other than those watching something they want to hide, I never understood it.

5. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's what I was wondering if it had any negative impact on performance, glad to hear it doesn't. My cable company DVR acts even more flaky when it gets around 90% full.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    What did people do when there was no recently deleted folder?

Nothing.

The way TiVo handles recordings hasn't changed. Even though a show is deleted, the data remains on the hard drive until it is overwritten. With the addition of the RDF, TiVo allowed us access to that data.

People who 'permanently delete' shows from the RDF are only satisfying their OCD urges (IMO). All they are doing is putting their Tivo in a pre RDF state. The data is still on the hard drive, only the Tivo has marked it as 'permanently deleted' and it is no longer accessible.

I admit that I (with my OCD urges) micromanage my Tivos to make sure they are recording what they are supposed to be recording, but never have I had the urge to clear out the RDF.

Edit: Or what scandia101 said. :p

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    This x1000.