1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent Comcast Experience

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by AMike, May 8, 2014.

1. AMike

AMike Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Metro Atlanta
    I just picked up a Roamio last weekend. I went to my local Comcast store to pick up a cable card. The CSR pulled up my account and asked, do you have any of our boxes? Don't you want one? I told her, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but no. The TiVo box is light years ahead of your boxes and now that it has On Demand, there will never be a need for a Comcast receiver. Of course the CSR was shocked with what I had to say. She had no idea that On Demand was available on the Tivo.

I think this would be a great marketing opportunity for Tivo to tout the On Demand features in those Comcast markets where it is available. It's practically a no-brainer to get a Tivo in this market.

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    When Comcast actually offered Tivo's in the Boston market years ago, they did a lot of marketing. There were billboards and commercials all over the place. It did nothing to help rentals of the box. (of course it didn't help that the box was lousy)

Tivo still suffers from the same problem it did on day one. It's hard to explain the technology.

4. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wait, "the box was lousy".. do you mean the "tivo UI in cable box" version? That's completely separate from regular standalone Tivos.

5. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Comcast should have gone with TiVo, but they built their stupid X1 box instead.

The Boston Comcast TiVos were running on Moto boxes and had that weird remote. No MRV though, so it was crippled from the get-go. And the four FF speeds... that was just WEIRD.

Pretty sure I told the Comcast people that I only have Comcast because of TiVo, and they pretty much understood how crappy their boxes are. This is pre-X1 though.