1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver & TV Control

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kumaaz99, Feb 11, 2013.

1. kumaaz99

kumaaz99 Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Anyone know how to set up the TIVO power button to turn on/off both the tv (sony) and the a/v receiver (Pioneer) at the same time?
    In the past I set this button to turn off the tv and left the receiver on all the time and it worked great. In this case the tivo fed the tv with hdmi and the tv fed the receiver back with a/v cables (I know not the best sound).
    Now I installed a new Pioneer receiver and ran the hdmi from tivo to the reciever and hdmi from the receiver to the tv. So, now if i turn off the tv I still get the sound out the reciever unless that is also turned off.
    It's such a pain to turn 2 items on and off all the time so I was wondering if there's some trick way to get the tivo remote to turn off both at the same time (maybe a secret code or a double code).

2. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    That doesn't mean anything.

The S3 OLED shipped with one.

4. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The only way you can turn on/off two things with one button press would be with a universal remote with macro.

5. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I've programed the glow remote shipped with my S3 OLED to control the on/off of both a Sony receiver and Panasonic TV. It works for me.

6. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    Any Tivo remote can do what you want:

1. press and hold Tivo & TV Power keys, until light remains on, enter tv code
    2. press and hold Tivo & Mute key, until light remains on, enter the Av receiver code
    3. press and hold Tivo & TV Power keys, until light remains on, enter AV receiver code again

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I had my sound going to the receiver thru the HDMI cable like you are doing and had to use the mute button on the remote when I was done watching TV beccause of having an Onkyo receiver that uses different on/off codes. When the switching part of the reciver went bad I bought an external HDMI switch and now have the sound going to the TV over the HDMI and then from an optical audio out from the TV to the receiver. I havent noticed any difference in the sound doing it either way.

8. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Problem is that there's no receiver power button on the TiVo remote. He wants to be able to turn them both off/on simultaneously.

Sounds like a helluva DIY project.

Take a look at: ĥttp://arduino.cc/blog/2012/12/19/arduino-ir-remote-control/ (the lights from the device aren't really lights that we can see -- digital cameras pick up infrared light even though our eyes can't)

Otherwise, you're probably going to need to get one of the glow remotes with the learning functionality. It won't be a 1-button solution, but it'll work.

9. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wondered how long it would take someone else to notice that.

10. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    Right, but after doing as I wrote, the TV POWER key would power both on and off.

11. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Oh, ok I thought you were saying that but didn't think tivo would have thought to do something like that. Good info, thanks.

12. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca