1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reboot issue, tried lots of things... thoughts?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by edskee, Jun 24, 2013.

1. edskee

edskee New Member

Apr 14, 2002
    I have a Series 3 HD Tivo, it's about 5 years old.

The other day it started the endless reboot.

I tried all the kickstart codes for SMART scanning - all went ok. I tried the Green Screen scan - no reported issue. Still rebooting. Tried pulling the cable cards. Still rebooting.

I read it can be the power supply. I pulled it. I had 2 bulging capacitors. I went to my local electronics shop and replaced them.

Now, it boots and gets just a little further... the clock comes on the front panel, then the screen flickers, and a reboot. Tried all the scans again, still no dice.

None of the other capacators seem to be bulging - would it be worthwhile to replace those also just to be safe? Could it be something else? Anyone have a clue? This is driving me crazy. I'd rather not buy another whole new power supply to the tune of $99, but, I miss watching TV!

Any other thoughts?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This would be my next step. Capacitors can go bad without showing any signs of failure.
    It's possible that any capacitor in the same circuit path could have been compromised when the others failed.