1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reality shows that are fake...spinoff thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pmyers, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1 of 122
    pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Somebody suggested a spinoff thread to discuss "reality shows" that might or might not be faked and to what extent.

Original thread:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=488700

Show's I've stopped watching due to being too fake:
    Operation Repo
    Hardcore Pawn
    World's Worst Tenants
    Flipped Off
    Restraunt Stakeout

2. Jun 18, 2012 #2 of 122
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    SyFy's Fact or Faked is borderline.

But I still get a kick out of watching the goofballs act like every "paranormal" case is supposedly real when 99% of the time it's just CG hoaxes.

3. Jun 18, 2012 #3 of 122
    tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    I love that show. It's so bad it's good. I also like Lanisha.

4. Jun 18, 2012 #4 of 122
    Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    Pawn Stars is also completely scripted, and obviously so. However, since they actually try to teach you something about the history around an item, I give them a pass.

--Carlos V.

5. Jun 18, 2012 #5 of 122
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I pretty much can't watch any of the shows on TruTV, they're all completely staged. There's a show called "All Worked Up" about process servers, repo people, etc, and I know for a fact it's staged because one of the episodes was shot in a restaurant by my house... The owner's wife is in a comedy troupe and she and the producers worked out the whole storyline from start to finish... I'm sure every other show on the network is the same way. I tried to get into that "Bait Car" one but after about 10 minutes decided it too was fake so I didn't see the point.

"The Locator" was a big disappointment for me... I'm a sucker for those kinds of stories but I couldn't even get through a couple of episodes because I was too distracted by the epic staging going on. Conversations with six different camera angles, people walking up from behind as if it's a "surprise" yet you can tell there are three different cameras on them... If you have just a slight knowledge of film production, you can tell when something is staged vs not. I had other examples but it's been a while since I've watched that one.

"Undercover Boss"... I don't care what anyone says, there's no way that one isn't staged. Maybe the first season when no one knew what it was but there's no way they still get away with it after all this time, and so I'm leaning towards scripted. I can still watch it sometimes but that's always in the back of my head.

I liked the concept of "Secret Millionaire" but again, way too much staging. I guess I can buy that it's not scripted in the sense of the concept (millionaires posing as documentary filmmakers looking to find people to donate to) but it's staged in terms of production. In the episode I watched, the father and daughter are shown prancing around Newark NJ and basically stumbling upon causes to look into. Then they show up at these places, which conveniently already have cameras and lighting set up for their arrival... it's just pointless to me.

I never understood the "reality" genre... A lot of times they have awesome concepts that I think could actually be cool, but instead of actually doing them (which would be a million times more interesting), they just fake everything. Why not just have a concept and shoot it like a documentary (or closer to that format)--the material is there. Instead the put together this heavily edited, overly-staged crap.

No mi gusta!!

6. Jun 18, 2012 #6 of 122
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Lap of Luxury
    Last Chance for Love

7. Jun 18, 2012 #7 of 122
    2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Gene Simmons family jewels

8. Jun 18, 2012 #8 of 122
    Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Documentaries are faked too. How many million kids grew up thinking that lemmings threw themselves over a cliff in mass suicide because of the Disney documentary "White Wilderness"?

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

9. Jun 18, 2012 #9 of 122
  10. Jun 18, 2012 #10 of 122
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    This show ("Undercover Boss") has the absolute WORST disguises possible, and most especially the most unbelievable WIGS!! :eek: How any person in real life could not do a double-take when someone walks up to them wearing those awful disguises, and then to treat them seriously ... Get Real!

11. Jun 18, 2012 #11 of 122
    pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    To me the show is "produced" but I do believe actual business is being done and transactions are legit. I'm ok with that.

12. Jun 18, 2012 #12 of 122
    Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    I'm fairly confident that many of the "transactions" are borrowed items from other auction houses with actors to play the part, or pre-bought items.

Plenty of people have caught them out providing proof of the people on screen either never owned them to begin with, or were actors with IMDB pages.

Google the term "Pawn Stars Scripted"

--Carlos V.

13. Jun 19, 2012 #13 of 122
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    A recent episode of American Pickers showed Mike and Frank buying a circus sideshow banner. Then they flashed back to a previous sideshow banner they had bought last season. In the flashback it showed the "expert" in NYC who valued it for them.

I now recognize that expert as Billy Leroy - one of the buyers on the new show Baggage Wars. In the pickers flashback, he wore an eye patch. On Baggage Wars, his vision must have gotten better because the eye patch is gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jun 19, 2012 #14 of 122
    Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    House Hunters
    House Hunters International

Producers hire couple that recently purchased a house. Then show them looking at three houses one of them being the one they bought. Then couple decides what house they like best. Surprise it's the one they already bought.

15. Jun 19, 2012 #15 of 122
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    That is why I like Investigation Discovery offerings. We KNOW the segments are reenacted and the actors are probably exaggerating everything for dramatic effect.

"I can't with" most reality shows.

16. Jun 19, 2012 #16 of 122
    GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    I'm not saying that either of these shows isn't faked in this instance, but he could have had a temporary medical condition that needed a patch for a time, no? Now, perhaps it could have have been a bandage-type patch instead of a pirate-type patch if it was temporary, but you never know.

17. Jun 19, 2012 #17 of 122
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    I happened to catch an episode filmed in the UK that featured the boss of a power company. One of his employees asked him point-blank if he was faking his identity. The boss finally admitted to it.

I don't think all of it is faked, and the earlier episodes I believe are genuine, but the recent ones involving Rygaard are definitely faked. Craig's intense dislike of Dave is more than just a sideshow, it is a safety hazard (which the show does depict quite well).

At the beginning of last season, am I really supposed to believe that Gabe's "accidental" felling of a tree right on top of Dave's car was genuine? And that the cameras just happened to be set up to capture all the best possible angles?

18. Jun 19, 2012 #18 of 122
    Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    I was flipping through and stopped on Ax Men for a few minutes. Flipped away again after a similar scene to what RonDawg described of a well captured accident with a Wilhelm Scream.

Come on. Not only did the producers strain credulity with the heavy coincidence of the camera pointing the right place at the right time, but to foley in the most recognizable stock sound effect in the history of foley artistry just puts the icing on the "staged" arguments.

Haven't sought out Ax Men ever again, even when I'm bored.

--Carlos V.

19. Jun 19, 2012 #19 of 122
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I agree. It was great the first season then it became all scripted and is terrible. Which is a shame because I follow them all on twitter and they could carry the show without the scripting.

20. Jun 19, 2012 #20 of 122
    jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    If its on Tru Tv its fake.

*Unless its a rerun of COPS or NCCA March Madness.