1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-record after power failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by texas16309, Nov 7, 2012.

1. texas16309

texas16309 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm new to Tivo. I have a Premiere Q unit from my cable company. I'm also a DirecTV subscriber and so I'm accustom to their HR dvrs. That being said Sunday night during The Walking Dead and Dexter I had a power failure that lasted only a few minutes. After the power came back on the Tivo started up and resumed recording as did the HR21. However, the HR21 also re-recorded the two shows later that night as they were listed as partial recordings. The Tivo did no such thing. Is this normal for the Tivo? Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes.

You can also put them on a UPS so when you have brief power cuts, it will continue to record and not have to wait for the long reboot time.

3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    If the TiVo totally missed the show due to a power outage it would have automatically tried to rerecord.

But (for whatever reason) it is not programmed to do so in the case of a partial recording. You'd have to manually tell it to record again in that scenario.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you can afford all that, go get a UPS for the various receivers and TiVos and such.

If you have any money left over, get a separate one for the TV itself.

And a 3rd one for the A/V receiver.

During power outages due to storms you can watch the weather channel through the TV's internal speakers.