1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RCN and the TiVo Stream

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by sbiller, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1 of 27
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27501300-TiVo-TiVo-Stream-and-RCN-and-the-New-TiVo-App.

[TiVo] TiVo Stream and RCN and the New TiVo App.
    All,

As you may or may not be aware of , TiVo launched a new Product called the TiVo Stream. This TiVo Stream allows customers to stream stored content from their TiVo to their IOS device (IPAD / IPHONE etc..) It also allows them to transfer over the network content that is NOT copy-protected to the IOS device so you can take it with you.. (outside the home).

At this point RCN can only support the TiVo Stream with the RCN Q TiVo. Thus you MUST have a TiVo Q in your home in order to get the stream to work. It will NOT work with Premieres at this point. As long as you have a RCN Quad Tuner TiVo on your account either in a Bundle or a standalone then it will work.

The Stream is depends on the TiVo's in the home being connected via MOCA or Hardwired. The Stream will NOT work if the TiVo is connected Via a wireless network.

Yes on the roadmap we are adding a line item to support this on the premiere but until then this will only work with the RCN Quad.

Jason Nealis
    RCN
    --
    Jason Nealis,
    V.P. Engineering and Operations

2. Sep 7, 2012 #2 of 27
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That sounds like BS to me. First off I think they are confusing the Stream with the Mini. The Stream doesn't care if you have a two tuner or four tuner box. The upcoming Mini will though.

Also there is no requirement for the Stream to use MOCA or Ethernet. It's purely network based. It may not work very well over wifi, depending on your setup and signal quality, but it wont just reject the connection.

Dan

3. Sep 7, 2012 #3 of 27
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I saw your post over on RCN. It will be interesting to hear's Jason's response. Initially I thought it was related to how RCN wires up the homes. I think a normal configuration for the Q is hardwired via MoCA while a normal configuration for the Premiere boxes is wireless. At least that is what I'm guessing based on his comment.

4. Sep 7, 2012 #4 of 27
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah, they require a wired/moca connection for the Q and Preview to avoid having to support the customer's wireless network. So that's probably why they're limiting the Stream to the Q for now... it's wired.

5. Sep 7, 2012 #5 of 27
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    But they can't "limit" it. If you buy one for a regular Premiere connected via Wireless it will still work. It may not not work well if you have a sh*tty wifi connection, but it will work. The original message says...

"Thus you MUST have a TiVo Q in your home in order to get the stream to work"

and that's the part I was calling BS on. They may not support it without a Q, but it will work.

Dan

6. Sep 9, 2012 #6 of 27
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I could see them blocking them since I am sure TiVo and RCN know what TSNs are customers and which ones are RCN's. This is how they disable Netflix and also only update certain boxes and markets. They probably have some way to block Stream access.

This definitely seems like something RCN customers should file comments to the FCC on. This seems to go directly towards trying to stifle and block the innovation the companies claim they are for.

7. bikeryeti

bikeryeti New Member

Sep 18, 2011
    The reason the stream doesn't work with RCN TiVos is because RCN TiVos do not have the software group for Multi-room Streaming. RCN needs to update the software (I think they are still on 14.9) in order for the stream to work. Also the RCN rep was definitely referencing the mini and not the stream because for the mini you must have the Q, this is not the case for the stream though.

8. verbalj

verbalj New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I can confirm that the TiVo Stream does NOT work with the Premiere. The TiVo box is on software version 20.2.x. It is hardwired. I'm also in the NYC area.

The best part is that I've spoken to four different reps and they all said four different things:

1- the stream will work once the box is updated to 20.2.x
    2- the stream won't ever work
    3- RCN will release their own version of the stream for Premieres (non Q)
    4- the Stream will only work on Qs.

We already know the first one isn't true. I've been on the fence about upgrading to the Q. I guess they ultimately will sucker me in because of the Stream.

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Based on this more recent posts from Jason at RCN it appears that they only enable MRS on the Q.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27559474-TiVO-Chicago-Tivo-Stream-Issues-

That's very surprising since MRS has other benefits in addition to support for the Stream. Can you verify?

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Wow. This is exactly why the cable model needs to change. Crippling features and punishing your customers isn't a model that deserves to stay alive.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think your looking at this the wrong way. From an RCN perspective this is due to support issues on Premiere boxes. They don't want to enable a feature (MRS) on boxes that have the option of being connected wirelessly. For a home that has a Q/Elite/XL4, they've installed a hardwired MoCA network so they can guarantee that MRS will work. My 2 cents...

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do they charge extra for a Q? How much? Just wondering why anyone would not choose the Q if they had the option.

Dan

13. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The Q is $24.95/mo versus the Premiere which is $19.95/mo. The Q/Preview bundle is $29.95/mo which is a good deal considering Preview's normally run $9.95/mo. Here is the detailed equipment availability page for RCN.

http://www.rcn.com/dc-metro/digital-cable-tv/equipment

14. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    All they would have to say is they don't support it over wireless. This is no different then Verizon saying they don't support internet without their router.

You can easily replace their router, but if you call regarding problems they will tell you they won't help you unless you use their router.

15. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Good point but they would prefer to not take the call in the first place! ;)

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Can you get a Preview without any other RCN supplied equipment? I mean if you have a retail Premiere can you get a Preview from RCN that will work with it?

Dan

17. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I don't think so. I'm sure they require at least one Q on your account in order to get a Preview. Once the Preview is on the account I'm guessing it would work with any retail or MSO box on the local network.

18. verbalj

verbalj New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Unless I missed it in the settings/menu (which is a possibility since I was on my way out to work), I didn't even see anything in the settings/menu for MRS.

Sucks that I finally got that software update (much appreciated, by the way since the UI is so much better now), but the Stream still doesn't work. Like I said, I guess RCN finally figured out a way to get me to upgrade to the Q after being on the fence since its release.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are no settings on the TiVo menus pertaining to MRS, but there are some on you account a TiVo.com. Login and check the DVR Preference page. Make sure both the boxes related to transferring are checked. Now those actually pertain to the old MRV and TiVoToGo stuff, but they may have an effect on MRS as well. It's worth taking a look at anyway.

Dan

20. verbalj

verbalj New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks for the info. Both boxes are already checked. I guess this all but confirms Jason's postings that the Stream will only work on RCN TiVo Qs.