1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ray Donovan S1E01 - The Bag or the Bat

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeAndrews, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1 of 14
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Premiere today.

This one has legs.

Reading the reviews I thought it would be Michael Clayton by way of The Town, but it's got a lot more than that.

I'll even put with Jon Voight over acting.

It took me while to realize that Babs is Trixie from Deadwood. She seemed skinnier there.

Liev Schrieber plays it well.

The green stalker guy couldn't get a clue with a clue stick in Cluetown.

2. Jul 1, 2013 #2 of 14
    gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I watched it last week. Thought it was pretty good. Disturbing how Voight's character is eerily similar to his relationship with his daughter (Angelina Jolie).

3. Jul 1, 2013 #3 of 14
    DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Watched it on your recommendation. I liked it!

4. Jul 1, 2013 #4 of 14
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I was disappointed. Went into it expecting a masterpiece, between the actors (Liev! Voight! Paula Malcomson!) and the showrunner (Ann Biderman! Southland!). But it didn't feel right. I just didn't like the way the pieces fit together.

I'll certainly give it one or two more episodes, if only for Ann Biderman alone, much less the actors. Maybe it can jell better.

As it stands, I'd give it a B.

5. Jul 1, 2013 #5 of 14
    MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I wanted to like this so much more than I did. I liked it, but there wasn't a "gotta watch" feeling when it ended. The solution to the problem with the girl who overdosed was interesting. As was "the bag or the bat" choice given to the guy who was dyed green.

But there was so much character set up, it reminded you every couple of minutes that this was like a pilot. Hopefully it picks up from here.

6. Jul 1, 2013 #6 of 14
    MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I'd give this one a handful of episodes to find its footing.

They introduced a lot of characters and premises that they can flesh out in the next weeks. The stories of the brothers and Dad Mickey can be show all by themselves, over and above Ray's adventures. Then we have Ezra, and the other "Marlboro" kid girlfriend sleezeball. Like will the abused kid learn that the first that Dad did was blow a hole in the priest?

7. Jul 1, 2013 #7 of 14
    MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

as he says we'll find out what Mickey did.

8. Jul 2, 2013 #8 of 14
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I'm on the fence, It was enjoyable and I like the cast but whether it's sustainable or not we'll see... It's all about the ongoing storylines, whatever they may be. If it turns into a show where he fixes a couple of celebs problems each week it will grow stale quickly.

9. Jul 3, 2013 #9 of 14
    goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    hmmm, I thought it was Maureen from Sons of Anarchy. Also thought it was Abs (short for Abby).

10. tlc

tlc Member

May 29, 2002
    You're both right.

So, did the guy know what was in the bag when he chose it? Or just that he didn't want the bat?

11. tony touch

tony touch Nice and Smooth

Jul 16, 2004
    Atlanta
    We enjoyed the pilot. I was going to delete it because we have too many shows on our DVR, but we will continue to watch.

12. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    As I was watching this I thought how completely correct I was in realizing when reading the Jack Reacher imaging Liev Schrieber as Reacher. In this he is kind of Reacher esque.

13. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I enjoyed it but didn't really like the casting of his wife. Frankly she just looked to homely for him so I didn't buy it. She also just seemed way to materialistic, although that has nothing to do with the actress.

Other than that, I enjoyed it and setup a SP.

14. brebeans

brebeans New Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Liking this show. The Boston Globe TV critic said that it is better after the first episode and he liked the first episode, too.

It has a touch of Sopranos to it, and I think the acting is great. I have a SP for it and hope to be able to count on it for some good summer entertainment.