1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ray Donovan S1 thread *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Jul 16, 2013.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Seeing as we only had a episode 1 thread and not one for 2 or 3 I think a whole season will suffice.

I really like this show so far. The characters are deep and complex and Ray is just a great character.

His support staff is mysterious as well, what is up with the chick? Is she a lesbian? The Russian guy is just a complete bad ass and liked when Ray tried to punch him and he just turned it around on him. Good to have a guy like that on your side.

2. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I believe Avi is Israeli, not Russian

My wife and I really like this too, though she did accidentally call it Roy Orbison yesterday. :)

3. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Look at the cast...

Denise "Tasha Yarr" Crosby is Ezra's mistress.

Ask the FBI guy if you can try his tasty burger. WHAT? WHAT ain't no language I know. Do they speak English on "What?"
    He also knows where Jimmy Hoffa is.

You notice who Terry's curly-haired nurse new date is? It took me a few weeks to place her. No fair checking IMDB. I didn't.

That Mickey is a real card, telling butt rape jokes to victims. "A mouth is a mouth"
    "You killed the wrong priest."

There must be a Showtime rule that every gay guy knows every other one as on Shameless. (The closet Mr. Box Office is texting Ray's kid, who told Grandpa he wasn't gay.)

4. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I like the show for the most part. Mickey is way over the top, almost a cartoon character, I like Voight and I imagine he enjoys hamming it up.

I made the mistake of looking up someone on IMDB. I should have known better. Seeing how many episodes this season each character appears in can give you a hint of who may live and who may not live. It's not foolproof, some characters may just not appear in every episode but it's a possible spoiler anyway. If someone has been in every episode so far and you see there are only in 5 for the season it could mean... Many people don't care about spoilers, but I do. I never watch previews, don't like knowing anything about what's coming up

5. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I only figured it out because I had watched "The Bridge" right before the last episode and Ted Levine is in "The Bridge" so it was fresh on my mind.

6. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm enjoying the show more and more each episode.

7. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    It's been picked up for Season 2

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To the point where, for me, it hurts the show. Anybody as obnoxious and stupid as Mickey is could never have survived in the underworld to be Voight's age.
    As a point of reference, several of the regular cast members who were in this episode (1x03) are not listed on IMDB, so I wouldn't read too much into their credits or lack of same. E.g., according to IMDB Bunchy wasn't in this episode.

9. Anubys

Anubys KMT Soccer Playa

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    You have to admit, though, the "that's a big word for an 8-year old" was pretty funny!

I did not read into this that the kid is gay. Yes, the famous guy might be a predator (which is weird since he seems to like adults well enough), but Ray's kid seems to be just a regular kid in awe of the big action hero actor. Pedophiles don't target gay children.

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I don't get the love for Mickey. I doubt that teenagers would be all excited to meet an old man they'd never met who just got out of prison after 20 years. The same goes for Mom, especially when she knows that Ray absolutely hates the guy.

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I don't think the kid is gay, but I do think he'll accept Mickey's words "a mouth is a mouth" and eventually do something he wouldn't otherwise do with the actor.

12. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Mickey was giving out a lot of cash. Teens love that :)

13. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The kid was begging to be with the old man long before he started getting generous.

14. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    What is the complain here, because I must not understand it. You are finding it surprising that someone wants to meet their grandfather and/or that a wife who has been cordially corresponding via letter with her father in law wants to meet him?

15. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    After EP3 we see that the kid didn't know that Tommy "is a pervert."

That kid is as worthless scum and snotty as his dad. He deserved worse.

There must a genre for these dramas that hint plot points that they reveal in flashbacks as they go along. We keep getting hints of plot points that we don't know about and later explanations.

Who was the girl who was shot, and who really shot her? Musta been that other actor. Ezra wants to confess. They must have set up Mickey as the killer.

Where did Mickey steal the $1/2 million from and why did his GF need it?

How did she keep Mickey's Caddy in running condition for 15 years? :rolleyes:

I would have sworn that she was Gladys Knight.

Nice to see Hutch, or it Starsky?

16. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I agree about the mom/wife. I guess Ray didn't disclose enough information to her about what his dad did, to get her on board with him.

17. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    The scene at the end with Voight dancing in the gay bar was priceless..not a big Voight fan as far as real life, but the dude can act. Gotta give him that.

This show is developing nicely - definitely a keeper.