1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rate your satisfaction with the TiVo Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jmpage2, Sep 10, 2013.

Rate your satisfaction with the Roamio 1-5 (5 is highest)

1. 5 - Roamio is outstanding!

147 vote(s)
    63.1%
  2. 4 - Roamio is a very good DVR!

69 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. 3 - Roamio is "okay"

6 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. 2 - Roamio is not meeting expectations

7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. 1 - Roamio is terrible

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    So, the Roamio has been out for a couple of weeks now. Time to start a ratings thread so that people can indicate what their satisfaction is with TiVos latest darling.

Feel free to comment on why you voted as you did.

I dinged one point for the lack of a full HD experience and that there aren't enough online offerings (although that is out of TiVo control to some extent). Otherwise, I have to say that this is by far the coolest TiVo to hit the market since the S1.

2. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    Overall my basic Roamio is very satisfactory.

PROS

Finally the fast DVR I have wanted. Very reliable on antenna ATSC. Better tuner than Premiere XL. More tuners. Upgradability via Stream/Mini. The new Netflix client is a big improvement. Today I tried to cast a Netflix video from my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE and it just worked - very pleasing. Extremely easy to upgrade HD.

CONS
    The current Amazon Instant Video client needs to be retired ASAP, it is horrible. Did it somehow miss its own funeral?

The occasional SD menu is a disappointment.

Using the ancient Dick Clark rating system, I love the beat and the lyrics are great, I give it a 95.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Went with a 4, but I'd say 4.5 if I could.

Out of the gate it's strong as all hell but there's always some room for improvement. There is a headache it created for me (Verizon cablecards), a few minor bugs still to work out, and the apps will eventually come along... at which point I'd happily bump it up. Amazon Prime Instant is a particular sticking point, but it's good that the Netflix app is up to snuff.

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I gave it a 5 since 4.5 wasn't available.

Everything for me is working great. I probably would have dinged it for the SD screens which includes the Star screens.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Won't get "outstanding" vote for me until the crippled HDUI Wishlists screens are fixed.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are a few minor nits so I went with 4. But I would have given my Elite a 2, so it's an improvement.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I gave my Roamio Pro an Outstanding rating of 5. Six tuners and a faster interface makes it an excellent DVR.

I was also extremely pleased with my two Elites but I would have given those a rating of 4 because of the slower speed.

If there were half ratings I would have gone with a 4.5 for the Roamio Pro and a 3.5 for the Elite.

8. ncbill

ncbill Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    4, because my first Roamio (Basic) died within a day.

Love the features, and I'm now pretty sure the above was just a hard drive issue.

If Tivo didn't have such a bug up its @@@ about 'popping the lid' I bet I could have just dropped in another 'AV' drive and saved them the cost of shipping.

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I already gave my Roamio 5 stars on my Amazon review so I had to cast my vote for a 5 here as well. :)

10. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I'm going with 5 although my Basic died in a few days (rated it 4 on Amazon) . The Plus is doing well and so far I'll probably rate it 5 on Amazon.

11. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    I gave it a 4, as nothing is so good that it can't be improved.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with the Roamio.

My dings include: can't do OTA AND Cable at the same time, Netflix App is weaker than that on Apple TV, and the silliness of having some SD menus (perfect intern project). Overall, a very strong upgrade from TiVo. I'm proud, once again, to tell people that I have a DVR worth paying for.

12. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Results so far looking very good. I will have to do a search and see if a poll for the Premiere was done at a similar time in its release cycle and what the results were.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I voted 5 stars.

Hands down my Roamio is the best DVR I have ever seen. Are there some things I would like to see added or improved? Sure, but it is a joy to use, does what it is supposed to without any issues, and so far my OTA reception has been great.

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am guessing if one was done the Premiere would have gotten pretty bad ratings. At the beginning with the 14.XXX software it really didn't function well enough for many people to use the HDUI at all. On the other had if TiVo had released the Premiere with only the SDUI and not used that stupid "one box" promotion I bet it would have gotten pretty good ratings.

Now I would give my Premiere about a 3.5 mostly because the OTA tuners still do not function as well as my Series 3 units.

15. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    With the SDUI the Premiere didn't offer much at all over an S3/TiVo-HD.

16. ptr727

ptr727 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    I used a DirectTiVo 5+ years ago.

Have been using Verizon FiOS HD-DVRs for 5+ years, earlier models were crappy compared to what I remember TiVo to be, current models are really good.

Now that I got a Roamio, I am disappointed in how TiVo did not change at all, seems rather antiquated, especially when it comes switching between live TV and the menus. On my FiOS DVR TV never stops, goes to the background or minimized window, on TiVo once you go to the menu you can no longer watch TV. E.g. watch show, see show trailer, go to search and add to season pass while continuing to watch the show, on TiVo I can do one or the other, not both.

As for Netflix etc., the Romio Netflix player and controls are pretty poor compared to Roku, and Roku includes Amazon Prime, so no value add there.

P.

17. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I strongly disagree. MRS was a game changer IMO for anyone with more than 1 unit. Also the iOS/RPC interface opened the door for lots of good stuff.

18. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    i had 6 tuners spread out over 3 boxes before the roamio and all i ever wanted was one unified season pass/todo list etc. Roamio delivers on that. It was a huge hassle selling all of my preimeres for 1200 bucks to nearly cover the 1300 cost of Roamio Plus, 3 TB upgrade and two minis all with lifetime but its done and I am happy. the only single thing is that the 30 sec skip on the minis is a hair slower.

19. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    MRS was a valuable feature but I expect that you might be over-estimating the number of TiVo users with multiple units. If I had to guess I would say it's probably in the neighborhood of 1-5% tops.

20. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Maybe so, but for anyone with multiple units it was a HUGE improvement. Also the iOS/RPC stuff was a big deal even for those with only 1 unit.