1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raomio plus/pro uses two IPs

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by stumantexas, Aug 28, 2013.

1. stumantexas

stumantexas New Member

Aug 14, 2013
    I was looking around my network and noticed an IP that I did not recognize. Chatted with support to make sure if roamio pro/plus uses one or two IP's and they told me one - then after pressing found that this is the streamer inside the roamio that is using the second IP and there does not seem to be any method of contolling how it gets it - uses dhcp without a setup screen that I can find.

Anyone know how to manually set the internal streamer's IP?

Thanks

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think there is a way. I poked around at my standalone Stream quite a bit when I first got it. There are some web based UIs you can access via special ports, but none have any editable options just information. And the setup stuff seems to all be automatic in the iOS app.

Some routers have an option to assign a static IP address to specific MAC address, you might be able to use that to force your Stream to have a specific IP. Although technically it's still using DHCP, just guaranteed to be assigned a specific IP.

3. Tivoli

Tivoli New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Why do you want to control what IP it gets? I do this kind of thing on my router. I enter the MAC and assign a static IP address. The device still does DHCP, but my router hands out the same IP address to that MAC.

4. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Out of curiosity is there an advantage of manually assigning a MAC address w/ static IP? I do that for my wireless printer & NAS but am wondering what benefit I'd gain by doing it for the TiVo - any performance/reliability?

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think there is any advantage to static IPs with TiVo. TiVos use a broadcast/discovery protocol to find each other automatically anyway. It shouldn't matter what their IPs are.

6. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes there is.

Perhaps not for the streamer or MRS, but the main IP address being static (or fixed in DHCP) is extremely convenient when wanting to test it, use filters, pointing a browser at it, using ping, etc.

I wouldn't want my TiVo potentially getting different addresses each time it reboots...

7. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Yeah - I know in the past I've had issues with my wireless printer having occasional connection issues or IP conflicts so assigned MAC/IP to it that resolved for good - so I can't imagine it wouldn't hurt to assign a dedicated IP to the TiVo device as well.

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I meant for normal operations. If you regularly access the TiVo via a browser or need to add any special rules for it to your firewall then of course a static IP would be easier to deal with. However for normal TiVo operations it doesn't really matter.

9. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    In the past static IPs seemed to help somewhat with the speed or at least it felt that way. I remember early on people finding the Premiere faster on a static IP. I always assign mine a static IP.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think the way it works is every 10-15 minutes a TiVo will send out a UDP packet to the entire network saying "hear I am". If there are any other TiVos on the network they recognize that packet and cache the name and IP of that TiVo and then respond with their own "here I am" packet so the other TiVo is aware of them instantly, rather then waiting for their own timed packet. If the network changes in any way, or the TiVo reboots, it send out the packet immediately. Based on that I can't see how a static IP would provide any speed advantage.

11. consumedsoul

consumedsoul Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I dunno if this is exactly 'scientific' or not - but after I set a static IP (via MAC address) earlier today, access remotely to my device via iOS app is instant now (the 'reconnecting' part) - it almost always took 5-10 seconds before.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Question about two IPs. I was planning on connecting my Pro via ethernet. Can a single cable handle two IP addresses?

13. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Absolutely!

14. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    There's an additional benefit. Most routers do not maintain the Dynamic allocation table across reboots. Most routers do not ping or arp before assigning an address.

End result, your tivo gets 192.168.1.30. The router reboots, loses it's table. Your laptop then gets 192.168.1.30. You now have an IP conflict that historically tivos (among many other devices) have not handled terribly well.

If you create a static reservation for your tivo that is outside of your normal dhcp pool, this problem can never occur.

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    DHCP means the router and the device have to have a conversation and negotiate what IP address the device gets.

More chance for something to go wrong than the device just announcing what its IP address is.

Anything that doesn't travel and need to log onto some other network, I don't see any reason not to give it a fixed IP address.

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Thanks.

17. Icarus

Icarus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    you should be able to find it using bonjour.

dvr-<last 4 digits of TSN>.local

If you use safari, you can enable bonjour in the bookmarks preferences and then in bookmarks menu, under bonjour/webpages, you'll see the DVRs by their names.

-David

18. tivaulo

tivaulo New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I'm all out for giving the user control over their own network. Whatever reason tivo had for not allowing fixed ips (besides laziness) is not justifiable. If they were just being lazy I can understand... until the next software upgrade.

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Lazy and presumptuous.
    It is highly unlikely we will be given the option later.

20. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    DHCP is the standard and has worked well for a long time. If it doesn't then there is already something wrong with your network (bad device, two servers, etc.). As for letting you set your own IP addresses, that doesn't accomplish anything (unless you have something wrong with your network) nor does it provide any performance increase. Now that being said, if you want to truly manage your network you shouldn't be doing fixed IPs that way anyways. Buy a router with the capability to set the IPs for each of your devices.
    From Tivo's standpoint fixed IPs are probably more headache for them to try to fix with support calls than it is worth. Go look at all your CE devices, how many of them let you set your IP address? Not many do. If you are worried about trying to have a consistent address to talk to your Tivo, then I suggest trying its hostname. For example, TIVO-65200018032xxxx takes me right to my TivoHD.