1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random reboots while playing and recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by TampaDon, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1 of 78
    TampaDon

TampaDon Don

Apr 26, 2004
    San Tan...
    Hi.

I called TiVo today because I started having some random reboots while playing recordings.

I also noticed that the TiVo rebooted Tuesday while recording The Talk and yesterday while recording the Today show.

The TiVo is also forgetting where I leave off when stopping a playback.

Tivos only solution was to remove my external hard drive and see if the problem goes away. They said it would delete all my 339 recordings. I cried foul and she said to just transfer everything to other rooms. I said what about all the show time, Hbo, lifetime etc that won't transfer and she said oh well. And I don't have enough space on the others anyway.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I don't think having me delete my 339 recordings is a VALID testing tool. Do you?

Help.

Don

2. Mar 6, 2014 #2 of 78
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Having an external drive only adds to the problem, whenever one of the drives fail, you lose all the recordings since it was attached. If you could transfer/copy them, they could go to another Tivo or PC with Tivo Desktop Plus (not free), or PyTivo, KMTTG.

Most likely, the external drive, its enclosure, or the cable is starting to fail. It may also be due to age, those Tivo Expander drives only last 2-3 yrs.

3. Mar 6, 2014 #3 of 78
    SOCATivo

SOCATivo New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    RSM, CA
    Hmm, my Premier XL rebooted on Tuesday also for no apparent reason.

Is this a common thing?

4. Mar 6, 2014 #4 of 78
    mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Both of my Roamio's reboot every since Tivo pushed the latest firmware 20.3.8.1.RC1-USA-6-848, before then the Tivo's were somewhat solid. Way to go tivo!!! I really hope the RC1 does not stand for "release candidate" if it does then what the HELL is Tivo doing pushing beta software out to it's users.

5. Mar 6, 2014 #5 of 78
    SOCATivo

SOCATivo New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    RSM, CA
    "RC" generally does stand for Release Candidate...

6. Mar 7, 2014 #6 of 78
    jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I've had reboots for the past few weeks too. I was running 20.3.7 when it started (I was late to receive the 20.3.8 update).

7. Mar 7, 2014 #7 of 78
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    My Roamio Basic reboots more than once an hour while watching MLB.TV. The only solution I know of is to not use MLB.TV on the Roamio. I wonder if it has something to do with the video source not providing enough data at a fast enough pace for Roamio's tastes, although my MLB.TV picture seemed HD or almost HD.

8. Mar 8, 2014 #8 of 78
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    The...
    i've upgraded my hdd with a AV unit..gotten two reboots while watching during the last week.

my thought was a bad hdd

9. Mar 8, 2014 #9 of 78
    TampaDon

TampaDon Don

Apr 26, 2004
    San Tan...
    I think I'll wait a little while and see if a new update comes out. I'm not deleting literally hundreds of recordings over a few reboots.

Don

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    As a safe measure, you should copy them over to your PC, at least the unprotected ones. If the box get exchanged, you can copy them back after the new box gets subscribed.

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Mine rebooted Saturday night. Now I come home and it is sitting at almost there as it boots up again.

12. TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    We found an interaction between the box and the service that was causing some random reboots. We made a change to the service last night that should resolve the problem. Please make a connection to the TiVo Service.

If you experience more than one reboot after making the connection to the TiVo Service, please email me your TSN with the subject "Random Reboots". (margret@tivo.com)

I am very sorry for the trouble!
    --Margret

13. skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I hope this fixes the issue. We have experienced between 14-20 reboots over the last 4 weeks. Will keep an eye on the Roamio + Mini's and this thread.

Thanks Margret

14. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Its harder to detect, but I do think Minis were effected too. I noticed a few moca uptimes reset which weren't expected.

15. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, mine has rebooted several times lately after going months without an issue. I was just about to call, now I don't have to.

16. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    The...
    to check & see if the tivo rebooted while you're away try turning on the clock by

Select-Play-Select-9-Select while playing a recording.

fingers crossed yesterdays update solves the issue!

17. Sixto

Sixto Member

Sep 16, 2005
    I usually just go into Account & System Info/DVR Diagnostics, advance to the bottom for the Cablecard 1 listing, and look at Time Since OOB Tune Start. It's the number of seconds since the last reboot. 86,400 seconds per day.

My three Roamio's have been good the last few days, though only the two Pro's had rebooted recently, the Plus had been up for 52 days last I looked. The Pro's had both been re-booting at least once per week.

18. skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Our Mini's are using MoCA. The great room Mini has been the rebooting culprit (at least that's the TiVo we've been watching during the winter) and was noticing at the end of programs, (the last 2 minutes) that we would lose network connection. Just about every show would display this issue.

Since connecting to the TiVo yesterday, we haven't experienced this issue or a reboot.

Forced connection with our Pro & both Mini's.

19. crisfer

crisfer New Member

Mar 15, 2014
    My TiVo Roamio pro was fine until shortly after an update it started rebooting during recordings on 2/10/14 it has done it about 5 times that I am aware of including last night 3/14/14.:mad::thumbsdown: After calling tech support and my Tivo checked out fine I was given this silly option to pay 599.99 plus tax and 49.99 fee and I would be shipped a brand new Tivo pro and then I would have to transfer all 41% of my shows onto the new one then send the old one back with a pre paid shipping label then I would receive a refund of over 600 dollars but tech could not be precise on amount just that it would be no less than 600 dollars I said what I have do what and pay what this is just ridiculous I have already shelled out 600 plus tax so I told him I dint think that would work out and I would cross my fingers for Tivo to get this software glitch figured out. :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Come on Tivo get this software glitch fixed already! Make sure to include a future software patch to include a fix that would not let the TiVo reboot during a recording!

20. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Did you even bother to read a few posts up before replying?