1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Channel / Tuner Loss

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by BGreenstone, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1 of 163
    BGreenstone

BGreenstone New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem: My S3 seems to randomly lose channels, and occasionally all channels will go dead and the diagnostic screen says "Not Tuned' for each tuner, and it is apparently trying to retune. Sometimes just one channel will go dead. Then sometimes a block of channels will go dead. But then sometimes every channel goes dead.

The cable is working fine as best I can tell because if I use the TV's tuner the channels are all there. Rebooting the Tivo doesn't seem to fix it. It'll just randomly come back.

My signal strength is high (95%), so it's not a weak signal problem.

Any thoughts?

-Brian

2. Sep 23, 2006 #2 of 163
    razor237

razor237 Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Jackson, NJ
    I had a some what similar trouble, I was channel surfing on one tunner, but i was going through the channels fast and when i stoped on a channel it was just a black screen. Then a diag screen popped up saying something about card one not authorized ...hmmm .. so i switched to tunner two went to same channel and it came up fine .... went back to tunner one and most channels would come up ..... 2- 11 and my hd channels worked but nothing else. so i rebooted my tivo and all has been ok so far . Im thinking i was going through the channels a little to fast and maybe the card kept trying to tune channel as fast as i was changing and some how lost its authentication from the cable company and was waiting to get i back..... I should have waited a few minutes to see if thats what the trouble was but i rebooted ...... I will not change the channels as fast and see if it happens again

-Mike

3. Sep 23, 2006 #3 of 163
    sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    Arlington, MA
    Just saw something similar happen with analog cable (tivo reported "searching for signal" when surfing through a bunch of analog channels in the 50-90 range).

4. Sep 23, 2006 #4 of 163
    tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    yep, me too. I have a few random channels in the analog arnge that won't display. No errors on the cablecard either. This is wierd.

5. Sep 23, 2006 #5 of 163
    BL

BL New Member

Oct 15, 1999
    Falmouth, Maine
    I think the cablecard can overload. I was checking my channels today and after I had run through a bunch, cable card 1 would not display. I switched to No. 2 and it was fine, and after a few minutes went back to No. 1 and it was fine. I think they just
    can't handle a lot of sequential channel changes.

A fine design--no one ever surfs!

6. Sep 23, 2006 #6 of 163
    diamar

diamar New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I just had the same thing happen today w/analog channels...but time seemed to heal it

7. Sep 23, 2006 #7 of 163
    sjxmang

sjxmang New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    I've had a similar problem , but when it has occurred (couple of times) I have switched over to my tv (with own cable card) and it has the same problem... I suspect it's a comcast issue..

8. Sep 24, 2006 #8 of 163
    tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    not in my case. normal tv shows the missing tivo analog channels just fine. it's only a problem on the tivo

9. Sep 24, 2006 #9 of 163
    sommerfeld

Feb 26, 2006
    Arlington, MA
    Some further experimentation showed symptoms consistent with one of the two tuners being unable to receive channels above 58 or 59; the first tuner active after a restart could pull it off, while the second couldn't.

I have some trouble with weak/poor analog cable signal strength and will see if this happens after they tune it up.

10. Sep 25, 2006 #10 of 163
    Cloud

Cloud New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    I have no CC's installed. I have analog cable screwed into the back of the tivo. On occasion it won't tune channels 3 through 6. Once it was tuned in fine on 3 and then started flickering to a gray screen until it finally stopped displaying channel 3...

The signal is fine.. Not sure why the tivo tuners won't tune 3 - 6 on occasion. This was just after set up. It went away 30 min later. Will keep an eye on it.

11. Sep 26, 2006 #11 of 163
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I'm experiencing the same thing with some analog cable channels - 50-54 mostly, but sometimes 45-54. But just on one tuner. When this happens the other tuner works fine, but one tuner says it can't get a signal and advises troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, channel 51 is Cartoon Network - one of my most recorded channels (Adult Swim), so I discovered this with a number of bad recordings.

12. Sep 27, 2006 #12 of 163
    bocktar

bocktar New Member

Sep 24, 2001
    Lawrence,...
    My honeymoon with the S3 has apparently ended as well. It ran for a week OTA-only with no problems whatsoever.

Six hours after successful installation of both CableCards, about 20% of my channel lineup disappeared. I'm all digital.

Four hours later, they all came back.

Four hours after that, the same 20% went away again, and they've been gone since.

Same symptoms. Good signal strength, diagnostics show "NOT TUNED."

Based on the threads similar to this one, I'm starting to get the impression that this isn't the cable company's problem.

13. Sep 27, 2006 #13 of 163
    chipvideo

chipvideo New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle

Another failed recording. 2 minutes into cbs's 8 oclock show it gives me a black screen so I go into menu and it shows not tuned down the board. I then cancle the recording and it comes back. I am getting great signal and just keep getting tuner loss on this tivo. All other tv's work fine with comcast dvr's.

Not sure if it is one tuner or what. It was tuner 1. Tuner 0 was fine.

Why is it they show 0 for the first tuner and 1 for the second. You would think it would be labeld 1 and 2.

Looks like another couple days and I might just bring this back to circuitcity and cancle my tivo subscription. Tivo better give my upfront $299 back.

This box is plagued.

14. Sep 27, 2006 #14 of 163
    hickerson

hickerson New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Same problem here. My analog channels from 38-49 don't show up on Cable Card 2. Very fustrating. I feel sorry for the cable tech who spent an hour today trying to fix it, and is coming back on Friday. I guess it is time to call TiVo support.

15. Sep 28, 2006 #15 of 163
    chipvideo

chipvideo New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle
    Now my channel 107 HD CBS in Seattle is pixelating.

Another thing I noticed is this is the same channel that has been having problems the whole time. Last week survivor recorded for 3 minutes. Same thing tonight on same channel at same time. Now pixelating on this channel only.

16. Sep 28, 2006 #16 of 163
    sommerfeld

Feb 26, 2006
    Arlington, MA
    okay, over the past couple days I've spent approximately three hours on the phone with various tivo CSR's exploring this issue. (One of my calls was cut off when my cordless phone ran out of battery). After going through assorted troubleshooting steps (mostly repeating stuff I tried on my own), I'm now at a stage where the case has *finally* been escalated to engineering, which is apparently a prerequisite to an exchange being authorized. Let's see what happens...

17. Sep 29, 2006 #17 of 163
    doctord

doctord New Member

Dec 17, 2004
  18. Sep 29, 2006 #18 of 163
    g808

g808 New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I'm suffering from this same problem. For me the issue is always with tuner 1 (tuner 2 is fine). I'm not receiving channels in the range from 35-53 (except 42 which always comes in on both tuners). The channels that I receive in that range fluctuate. Yesterday I could not get 37-53. Now today I cannot get 35-49.

I thought it might be the CableCARD, so I tried swapping the cards and I still had the problem with tuner 1. I don't have any splitters. I have the cable from the wall directly connected to the S3.

Sounds like a possible TiVo issue, and not a cable/CableCARD issue. I guess I'll have to try TiVo support.

19. Sep 30, 2006 #19 of 163
    hickerson

hickerson New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I am still having missing analog channels on cable card 2.

I talked to TiVo customer support yesterday and they said it was probably the cable card or low cable strength.

I bought a signal booster. It did improve my overall picture quality, but I still have the missing channels.

Could it really be the cable card? I have went through two cards and the problem was the same on each.

Any suggestions?

20. Sep 30, 2006 #20 of 163
    tboydsto

tboydsto New Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Me too. This happened before my CableCards were installed with Channel 2. I simply get the message that the TiVo is looking for the signal and to check Troubleshooting. This morning, I was again missing some analog channels (different ones this time). Very flakey!