1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R.I.P. Boxee: 3 lessons to learn from Boxee’s demise

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Jul 6, 2013 #1 of 52
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. Jul 7, 2013 #2 of 52
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    One of Boxee's biggest mistakes was introducing a product in a market that was already flooded with media players at a price that wasn't competitive with the other devices. I didn't see anything about the Boxee Box at $199 that would convince me it was a better product than a Roku or a WDTV player that were available for less than half the cost. They came out of the gate with two strikes against them. It was clearly developed by enthusiasts that knew nothing about marketing and retail sales.

3. Jul 7, 2013 #3 of 52
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I thought the Boxee Box complimented the ROku. My Boxee Boxes could not replace my Rokus and my Rokus could not replace my Boxee Boxes.

4. Jul 7, 2013 #4 of 52
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Boxee Box at $199 was and is still one of my best electronics buys

Use it almost every day, and it works GREAT for years and hopefully a few more years to come.

I wish they just updated it and kept it not like the DVR thing they did

5. Jul 7, 2013 #5 of 52
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    The only reason TiVo is still around is because of Patent Trolling. No other reason.

TiVo has never made a dime it didn't sue someone out of.

They'd have gone under 6 years ago if it wasn't for the Courts.

6. Jul 7, 2013 #6 of 52
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Patent trolling? Isn't a patent troll a company that doesn't have a product that just sues for the patents they have? TiVo sells a product that uses their patents. Why should someone be able to use patents they have for free? It doesn't work that way with other companies, why should it be different for TiVo?

7. Jul 7, 2013 #7 of 52
    Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    TiVo also would not be out of business if other companies didn't try to infringe on and steal their patented technologies, but paid licensing fees which they should legally be doing.

8. Jul 7, 2013 #8 of 52
    stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    Please do NOT feed the real Troll.

Tim S.

9. Jul 7, 2013 #9 of 52
    Richard Cranium

Mar 28, 2010
    Replay had a patent that belongs to DirecTV now. Cisco has a patent, MOTO has a patent, Microsoft has a patent, Dish worked around the patent and has one of their own, and the EPO just revoked TiVo's patent so Liberty is free to do whatever they want as far as patents are concerned.

I don't see any of these other companies suing anyone over their DVR patents.

TiVo? Looks like patent trolling to me.

10. Richard Cranium

Mar 28, 2010
    No one has EVER been found to be "infringing their patented technologies" FACT!

11. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    I see someone is trolling about patent trolling.

12. Richard Cranium

Mar 28, 2010
    Yes, anyone who points out the warts of this Company or product is a troll...

I get it, already!!! :eek:

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't know about the rest of these companies but Dish blatantly ripped them off. Back in the early days Dish came to TiVo and had them develop a prototype for a box that would work on Dish's network. TiVo gave them a prototype and after some time Dish came back and said never mind we've developed our own, which just happened to have the same basic design as the one TiVo gave them. It was straight out theft. The other companies may have developed their own products which just happened to run up against TiVo patents, but Dish flat out stole their technology and banked on TiVo going out of business before they ever had to account for it. And they almost did a few times.

Also I'm pretty sure there was at least one quarter, maybe two, where TiVo turned a profit. It may have been an accounting trick, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple times when they were in the black.

14. Richard Cranium

Mar 28, 2010
    Straight out theft?

Sorry, no...

It took 2 courts over 4 years to ponder that very question and they never got the chance to answer it due to the parties "settling".

As a matter of fact I believe that TiVo was going to LOSE to Dish on appeal and that was the very reason they took the lowball settlement they were offered.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Regardless of what the courts did or didn't say the anecdotal evidence that Dish stole TiVo's technology was overwhelming. Dish is as guilty as OJ Simpson on this one.

16. Richard Cranium

Mar 28, 2010
    Unfortunately smarter people than us differ with your opinion. :rolleyes: :p

But all kidding aside the only reason TiVo got any traction at all in that lawsuit is because they convinced a Judge that "parse" meant "analyse".

Remember, patents are granted to FURTHER technologies, not for the inventor to become a multi billionaire.

Also remember, TiVo didn't patent the DVR (they can't) they patented a process.

All Dish needed to do (and did) was show that they omitted a step in TiVo's process and was granted a patent of their own.

What everyone gets wrong is that DISH wasn't found guilty of infringement or "stealing" they were found guilty of not obeying an injunction. An injunction that wasn't written clearly according to the CAFC. An injunction that was stayed MULTIPLE times.

Big difference....

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Very amusing, so you think Dish had won the day, looked things over and decided to send TiVo a big fat check just because they are nice guys?

If you really believe that I have a great investment for you - a really great bridge.

Dish settled because they decided it was their least cost option - which means they believed they were going to lose.

18. Richard Cranium

Mar 28, 2010
    What I believe is irrelevant. The FACT is, Dish was never found guilty of infringement or "stealing". They settled because they were going to found guilty of ignoring an injunction and knew it was cheaper to pay the settlement than to have to shut their boxes down.

TiVo won the proverbial battle but Charlie won the war. He won EVERY SINGLE RULING after the jury award, and there was no reason to think that was going to change the the second time around.

19. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Exactly

20. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Sam, if your still there, trying to get this discussion back on topic, Why would Samsung buy this Boxee thing, what are they going to even do with it? If Boxee can't sell a Boxee what make Samsung think they can sell a Boxee? Maybe I need more info on what a Boxee is use for.