1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quickest Way to Live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Kimo, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Kimo

Kimo Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Hi

Our outgoing Series 3 HDs have a "Watch Live TV" selection in the main TiVo Central screen.
    Select it and you are at live TV - easy peasy.

We're replacing the Series 3s with Bolts. I want to show the family the easiest way to simply get to live TV via the box itself (and NOT through the stock remote's Live TV button because we're using a different remote). It used to be "Left Arrow > Left Arrow > Watch Live TV"

So, how is this done with the Bolt? I do not see a Watch Live TV selection, only a "What to Watch Now" (WtWN). Do you simply select any of the shows listed in WtWN and then channel surf - or is there a quicker way to just get to live TV? (again, NOT using the stock remote)

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    If your replacement remote supports the zoom button and you haven't disabled the preview window in the menus the fastest way would be to press 'zoom'.

(Well, if it supported the 'Live TV' button that would be even more reliable; but clearly based on your question it doesn't)
    Unfortunately if it doesn't support the zoom button I'm not sure if/where a live tv menu option might exist on the Bolt user interface; sorry.

3. Kimo

Kimo Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Thanks for the response. I haven't programmed the Harmony yet, but it probably DOES have a "Live TV" button - I was just hoping to provide as much of a seamless transition for the non-power users as possible - directly from the User Interface , i.e. Back > Back > Down > Select. And it's not like there's not enough junk already crowding the main TiVo Central screen to add another Watch Live TV screen - for those of us who have been using TiVos since Series 1 14-hour SD boxes came out.

I presume that even selecting one of the What to Watch Now live shows will kill the buffer, so we may need to have a little show and tell session.

Oh well - new and improved.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    ;)

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I would recommend just programming the Live TV button into the Harmony. That's the easiest way.

6. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    Programming the Live TV button would definitely be best. The only other way I can think of is to hit the guide button twice if that is programmed (not during playback though). That's how I got by for a few days before I reprogrammed my Harmony.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That doesn't work if you're actively watching a show since it will just bring up the guide to overlay your show. Although if you pick anything from the guide then it will drop to live TV.

8. skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    On my Harmony Elite, I reprogrammed the EXIT button to be LIVE TV and the MENU button to be equivalent to pressing the TIVO button on the stock remote.

I also reprogrammed the fast forward and rewind buttons on the Harmony as follows:

Quick press of rewind = 6 second rewind
    Long press off rewind = rewind x1

Quick press of fast forward = 30 second skip
    Long press off fast forward = fast forward x1

krkaufman and kpeters59 like this.
  9. Kimo

Kimo Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Just when i had resigned myself to the fact that "Watch Live TV" was no longer accessible via the box's User Interface, and only through the remote, what should pop up on our new TiVo Mini's UI? Sure enough, a "Watch Live TV" selection. Go figure - why couldn't they have also dropped one into the Bolt's UI?

10. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    It's always fascinated me since joining the TCF after buying a TiVo 2 years ago, how many users are averse to just turning on their TV and having live television playing.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, you don't need to be on TCF to do that. ;)

12. Wexlerbob

Wexlerbob Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Southern...
    I have been skipping commercials for decades, going back to my BetaMax.
    I don't have the time or inclination to watch commercials.
    I also refuse to be regimented into watching my favorite show at 9:00 PM. I would rather watch it at 10:17 or tomorrow at 8:37.

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Do you only watch shows at times ending in "7"? ;)