1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about standby; Is the fan supposed to run? (And others)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by docprego, Jan 22, 2014.

1. docprego

docprego New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Just got a Roamio Pro, so far I really like it. I have a few questions regarding standby:

1. Is the fan supposed to be running when in standby? I put the device into standby using the option in the settings menu but then the fan always runs after that at all times.

2. Is standby the way that you turn this device off? I was surprised to be unable to find a power off button on the remote.

3. Is the Ethernet activity light on the back of the unit supposed to be flashing continuously when in standby?

Thank you

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    A tivo always is recording, thus there is no need for an "off". Standby is as close to "off" as there is without unplugging the box, but as you noticed it remains connected to the net.

3. docprego

docprego New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    What about the fan? Is this normal for it to always be running, even in standby? I'm leaning towards yes now that you put it that way, but can you confirm this?

If it matters I don't yet have any recordings scheduled. Will the Roamio still behave as you described?

4. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    The only thing "standby" mode does is turn the video outputs off.

That's it. Other than that, the TiVo is still doing everything it does when not in standby mode.

The only exception I know of is that when the unit is in standby mode, Emergency Alert Service broadcast messages will not interrupt a recording by scrolling a message across the top of the screen.

5. docprego

docprego New Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Thank you. So for absolute clarity; the fan running in standby is normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Yes.

7. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes.

8. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I'm considering upgrading from a Premiere with Stream to a Roamio Pro with built-in streaming, but I'm concerned about fan noise. How does the Roamio Pro's fan noise compare to the Premiere? Does the pitch become louder when streaming is active?

I had to banish my Stream to a dark corner of the garage (big hassle running long ethernet cable and power cord) because in a quiet room its fan produces a hum that vibrates the human eardrum in an unpleasant way. Has TiVo engineered a quieter fan for Roamios with built-in streaming?

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Putting the Roamio in standby saves only half a watt.

I think the Roamio fan noise is quieter than previous TiVos. But I can still hear it from across a quiet room like every Tivo made in the past.. But most people can't hear it until they get their ear close to the box.