1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions About Roamio & Lifetime Sub.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Kawabuggy, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Like the title says, I'm considering switching over to the Roamio.

I currently have a Tivo HD (2 channel) with lifetime subscription. If I move to a Roamio, can I switch my lifetime subscription over? Or, do I just keep my existing HD & put the Roamio in another room? Confused about how the switch would work.

What are mini's? I see people talking about these.

Lastly, where is the best place to buy the Roamio? Any value in selling my old HD box? Not sure what steps I need to take here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    TiVo usually will not allow you to transfer a lifetime subscription from one box to another. You can always call and ask, but they they will almost certainly say no.

The Mini is an extension device. It allows you to watch live TV and recordings from a Roamio on a second TV.

You can either put your current TiVo HD at another TV or sell it, either way. A lifetime HD does have value. You will usually find them going on ebay in the $200-$300 range.

As for the "best place" to buy a TiVo, if you are looking for the cheapest way, it is to buy a discount code off of ebay. If you want to know more about that option you should check out the dedicated "Roamio Deals" thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=507790&page=42

3. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    tarheel thanks for the fast response.

I am interested in the Plus/Pro version as I want the 6 channel option.

I have been reading since I posted and also came across the post you linked about the discount codes.

Is a separate subscription required for each mini? Or, can a lifetime sub. be purchased for them as well?

My plan is to buy a Roamio Plus with lifetime sub. like I did with the HD I have now.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The standard price for lifetime service on the Mini is $150, or you can use the same ebay discount code to buy a Mini w/lifetime for $174 total. You can get the Roamio Plus w/lifetime for $600 with a code. I think the codes usually sell for between $30 to $50.

Good plan. Going with lifetime service is much cheaper in the long run. I think you'll be very happy with the Roamio Plus. It is a very nice upgrade from the HD.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Lifetime service for Mini is $150. Lifetime service is for the life of the Tivo box and not the owner so it is not transferable to another box but it can be transferred to another owner along with that box.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm still amazed that anyone would would actually think that lifetime service is for the life of the owner.