1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about installing A/V Breakout cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by sblake, Feb 26, 2014.

1. sblake

sblake New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Hi All,

Been reading all the info about Tivo, and just purchased the Roamio Plus, and two mini's.The help that Ive seen for others on here, has been outstanding. So far, we are really enjoying it. I do have a question-

One of the Mini's is being connected to a HDTV that does not have HDMI. I had to order the breakout cable from Tivo. The green, blue, and red outputs from the TV, gets connected to the breakout cable, and then to the component jack on the mini? Do I need to hook the red/white cables into the A/V jack as well?

Sorry if this a real basic question, but Im not that tech savvy.

Thanks

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, the RGB cable only carries video. You'll need the Red/White connected as well for audio.

3. sblake

sblake New Member

Feb 26, 2014

Thanks for your response.

It's supposed to arrive today. I checked with Tivo support last night, and they told me I don't have to use both. I was surprised when he told me this

Is there anyone who has the same setup as myself, that has used the Tivo a/v breakout cables?

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you are using only composite you don't need both cables, if you are using component RGB than you need the other cable to get audio RW and yellow than is not used. I have set this type of system up for a friend.

5. sblake

sblake New Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Thanks for the help. Using the A/V breakout cables worked well. We are now a Tivo family!