1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Tuners....

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ursa99, Sep 17, 2013.

1. ursa99

ursa99 New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    I'm a longtime S3 user. Lifetime, new PS etc...

My question is does the Roamio have 6 independent tuners. I.E. 6 buffered live channels totally independent? Still uses 1/2 hr buffer?
    Thanks,
    Ursa

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The Plus & Pro models do however the basic Roamio only has 4 tuners/buffers. But you might say why you are asking for more info.

3. ursa99

ursa99 New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    I'm asking because I also use a DirecTV DVR in my vacation home and it does not provide live buffers on each of it's 5 tuners. I wanted to insure that the Roamio implementation was similar to my S3.
    Thanks for the information. Now to make a decision.

Ursa

4. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Yup.....6 independent tuners on the Plus/Pro each with a 30 minute buffer.

Coming from a TivoHD.....I am LOVING the Roamio. Awesome machine.

-Kevin

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ok each tuner can/does have it's own live buffer, as long as the tuners are on different channels. If the tuners end up on the same channel I believe there is only one buffer for that channel. Some people have had some issues with this so you may want to look at some other threads like this one:

You may want to comment on how you want to use the buffers.

6. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Pretty sure each are independent. I can have the same channel on different tuners at different pause points.

That other thread is mine. I was seeing all tuners on the same channel and people were thinking it was due to either a reboot (which does reset all to the same tuner but mine didn't) or suggestions will set back to same channel.

I have seen nothing to suggest you can have 6 tuners on the same channel all with their own buffer. (not sure why anyone would want this anyway)

-Kevin

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If the TiVo is rebooted, or you check the signal strength, afterwards it will have all tuners on the same channel.(If it doesn't start a recording) Each tuner seems like it has it's own buffer.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

And each buffer is independent. Just tested it, even if I have two tuners on the same channel, I can pause them at different spots, as reported by kbmb.