1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about The Good Wife (Anatomy of a Joke) 11-11-12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ADG, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I have a question about the ending of this episode. Can anyone explain what was going on with Christina Ricci's closing bit about the birthmark? I was fine up to that point, but her joking about it and Alicia finding it so funny made it very confusing for me.

Was it Cary who has the birthmark?

Is there no such birthmark and Ricci "planted" the story with the campaign worker as a joke?

Was it something completely different that I'm (probably) missing?

Thanks.

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I think it referred back to the conversation that Peter had with Alicia about how to react to the allegation when he told her about it.

Ricci was using it as fodder for her comedy act - whether or not she was referencing the fact that her lawyer is Peter's wife I don't know. It didn't have anything to do with Cary.

Bottom line is the whole thing is so ludicrous Alicia's reaction in the end is to laugh about it.

3. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    But how would Ricci even know about it? Unless I missed it, it never made it to the press.

4. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Was the act Alicia was watching any the end a new act or one from before?

5. Marc

Marc Active Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    Wasn't it a member of the press who brought it up during the press call at the beginning of the show, seeking a preliminary response from the campaign before publishing the allegation?

The episode went on to infer that it was going to be published and that Peter and Alicia needed to determine how they were going to respond. They decided that Alicia would respond incredulously and with a laugh.

My take was that the comedy bit that Alicia was watching at the end was after the claim had gone public, making it fodder for the comedienne's routine, and that Alicia was laughing at it related to her earlier conversation with Cary that merely talking about breasts and penises is funny.

6. 9300170

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    Wasn't it just a joke about difference in size between new jersey and brazil? em...err...you know...inferring hubby's not someone who should be embarrased in the shower at the gym?

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i'm glad the partners smacked down the nerdy accountant..the show has the right mix of courtroom and other things going on without tooooo much focus on politics per se

8. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I agree with this take, it was mine as well.

I think Alicia is learning not to take herself so seriously this season, which is very refreshing. I was getting a little tired of everything about her being so dire and serious all the time.

9. Gerryex

Gerryex Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    :up::up:

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    after this year how many more offices can peter run for..they will have to find a different angle

11. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    He could always lose and run for a different post (US Senator). He could win then run for President.

They could have a time "warp" between seasons.

More likely....I don't the show has more then a season (or season and half) after this one.

12. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    as long as suits keeps going i can do without this show

13. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Why would you say that?

It is one of the most popular shows on CBS. It consistantly ranks in the top 20-25 each week.

It isn't going anywhere, IMO...

14. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    For me, the mystery of this episode was: how did Cary's father go from intimating that he was dying, to needing a favor from Cary?

I didn't think the words he used could have been taken any other way than "I'm dying".

15. njtaz

njtaz New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    I've just started watching towards the end of last season after picking it up once in a while before that.

Can someone tell me what Zach Grenier / David Lee's role is - I believe it was this episode where the partners re-worked his contract so if the firm was sold he was out. Why was that a deal breaker for the law firm that wanted to take them over?

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i think that was to show us how he manipulated people so well and he knew what words the kid needed to hear

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    David Lee is kind of a wild card at the firm. He had been a low equity junior partner if I recall, and became part of the power struggle to save the firm and keep Will from being voted out. He brings in a lot of money, so they didn't want to lose him, so they gave him a bigger stake in the firm.

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    love the poison pill too...he plays the villian well

19. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I only catch The Good Wife in the background as I'm surfing, but I didn't take the Ricci bit at the end anywhere near how you guys are taking it. Here was my view...

The problem for Peter and Alicia was how to address the issue of the birthmark publicly. Peter can't come right out and say anything. Reluctantly, the awkward task falls to Alicia. So how do you deal that that?

I felt like Christina Ricci's character was very, very smart. She knew what was going on around her. As thanks for what Alicia and company did for her she goes on television and starts cracking jokes about her lawyer making jokes about the birthmark on her husband's member.

Boom! Problem solved for Alicia and she doesn't have to say a word. That, to me, was why she was laughing her ass off. Ricci saved Peter and Alicia the public embarrassment of having to address it personally and completely deflated the entire ruse put together by the other campaign. I thought it was brilliant writing.

Then again, I just caught bits and pieces so maybe I'm completely misinterpreting.

20. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    David Lee runs estates and family law (divorce). One of the few profitable parts of the firm. Firm interested in buying them is big in that part of law. No interest without David Lee (and his clients who would likely follow Lee)