1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about MPEG-4 and TiVo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DM3MD157, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1 of 20
    DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    So I have been reading a lot about how the TiVo HD doesn't support MPEG-4 from the provider. Is this something one should worry about right now? I have seen some people say that their providers have switched some channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.) over, and some have switched all channels. Do we have any indication that the conversion for most providers are coming soon? I ask the question because I just bought a used TiVo HD! :D

2. Oct 9, 2013 #2 of 20
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    No cable company in the U.S. has switched all channels to MPEG-4, AFAIK. You might be confusing that with stories about switching all channels to digital (but only MPEG-2), or about DirecTV (which has all HD in MPEG-4, but doesn't work with a TiVo HD anyway), or about New Zealand (where a variant of the TiVo HD actually does tune in an MPEG-4 lineup), etc.

But yeah, I'd be somewhat concerned. Name your provider if you want to see if anyone here knows specifics. There's no general move towards MPEG-4; no mandate or anything -- it's all about saving space, making room for more channels. (Analog to digital saved much more, while also improving quality.)

3. Oct 9, 2013 #3 of 20
    DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I am about to get FiOS in Maryland. I won't be getting any paid channels like HBO or Cinemax, just the second tier channel lineup. I should have bought another Premiere perhaps. That said, I bought the premiere from the Series 2 upgrade sale last year. Any promotion like that around still?

4. Oct 9, 2013 #4 of 20
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I also have Fios in Maryland. :) Fios is probably one of the bigger adopters of MPEG-4 already, since they don't use switched video, and need the space. It's only a few channels so far, but there's some speculation that all new channel additions will be MPEG-4. Against that, they still have a large deployed base of STBs that can't handle it. So, they're starting with kind of "fringe" channels that are only in higher-end or specialty packages, or (apparently) are low-rated. Also, they're only using it for HD channels, most of which have SD equivalents.

Current MPEG-4 channels that I'm aware of:

[558] ES.TV
    [596] Universal Sports
    [597] World Fishing Network
    [598] beIN Sport
    [599] Cars.TV
    [633] Pets.TV
    [674] MyDestination.TV
    [676] Recipe.TV
    [695] Comedy.TV
    [735] Sony Movie Channel
    [744] MGM

5. Oct 9, 2013 #5 of 20
    DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I will be getting the "Prime" package from Verizon and no additional channels. So if that is the case, then I hope I'm good to go for a little while!

6. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    You're good to go. I've got the FiOS Prime package, added Showtime only for Homeland/Masters of Sex, and a TiVo HD with cable card. System works fine. The only caveat is that you will need to pair the CC with the TiVo should you ever desire premium channels. For Prime only, you don't need to pair but card will obviously need to be activated so why not kill two birds with one stone?

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I should clarify this comment. I meant that most HD channels on Fios have SD equivalents on Fios. However, most of the channels for which they're currently using MPEG-4 actually don't have SD versions.

8. Nov 5, 2013 #8 of 20
    dcpmark

dcpmark New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Ok, this clears up the problem I've been having.....none of these channels work on my S3 or my TivoHD, but work fine on my Premiere.

So my only options are to upgrade both units to a Premiere or a Roamio, right?

9. Nov 6, 2013 #9 of 20
    DM3MD157

DM3MD157 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    How can you tell that a channel is MPEG 4?

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you tune it and then check the DVR diagnostics screen you can see what it is.

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Or just ignore those channels, yes. :)

(Note: this only works on the models that do support H.264 channels. So if you only have a Series 3, and you're wondering why you can't tune a particular channel, but suspect it might be H.264, the diagnostics screen won't answer that.)

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  13. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Someone mentioned that no cable companies have gone to MPEG-4, and FiOS aside, Cox has started rolling out some MPEG-4 as well.

14. spocko

spocko TiVo HD

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, Cox uses MPEG-4 for some channels in the San Diego area. They call these channels the "Plus pack".

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    No. I said "No cable company in the U.S. has switched all channels to MPEG-4".

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    If my TWC would switch all channels to mpeg4 and do away with SDV, I would happily upgrade from my Tivo HD to a Roamio. But putting out the many hundreds of $$ (I want lifetime sub) and still having all the reliability issues of a Tuning Adapter doesn't cut it for me.

TWC couldn't have devised a better anti-Tivo tactic than the TA (i.e., SDV).

17. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Strange that they seem to have problems, considering they are one of the companies that pioneered SDV. SDV isn't inherently bad, if it's done right. I have 3 Charter TAs in my house and no problems.

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Not so strange seeming if you are a TWC subscriber!

19. bfwk122

bfwk122 A Tivo owner from the beginning.

Jul 2, 2006
    New Jersey
    Right at this moment Fios has switched 11 channels to meg4 so far..They have intentions of doing many more...

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    If mpeg4 channels mean you can't receive all channels in a package, don't the FCC regs require them to either give you a cost reduction, or a cheaper package defined without those channels, or provide hardware that allows you to receive those channels? I thought that principle was what led to the Tuning Adapter to enable TiVo's to get SDV channels.