1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about mixing MoCA and Cat6

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Nutcase, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Nutcase

Nutcase New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    We're moving to Comcast from DirecTV and picking up four TiVos in the process. Should the following scenario work to get all the TiVos talking to one another and the outside world?

Premiere #1 (2 tuner): connected to network via switch #1
    Premiere #2 (2 tuner): connected to network via MoCA adapter #1
    Premiere 4XL: connected via coax only (using inbuilt MoCA adapter)
    Premiere 4: connected to MoCA adapter #2
    MoCA adapter #2 connects to switch #2
    Premiere 4 connects to switch #2

(switch #1 and switch #2 are each connected to switch #3 which is connected to the DSL modem; unfortunately switch #1 is 100mbps)

Do I need MoCA adapter #2? or can I just plug the Premiere 4 into switch #2 and the coax line and have it shuffle data between the MoCA and Cat6 sides?

I think the coax cabling will go like this (reusing RG6 currently in use for DirecTV):
    Cable drop --> MoCA POE filter --> 3-output 2GHz splitter (outputs A, B, C)
    A --> MoCA adapter #1 --> Premiere #2
    B --> MoCA adapter #2 --> Premiere 4 (or leave out MoCA adapter #2?)
    C --> 2-output 2GHz splitter (outputs C1 and C2)
    C1 --> Premiere #1
    C2 --> Premiere 4XL

Do I need to be concerned about signal loss from the splitters?

What about cable length? -- distance from the tap to Premiere #1 and 4XL is about 120'

Since I'm reusing existing cables, I need a barrel nut / splice in both line B and line C (connecting the cables that are on either side of a couple of multiswitches at this point). Will I need to worry about signal loss there?

Thanks for any help / insight you can provide (I'm new to the whole MoCA concept).

2. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    With that many TiVos, especially if tuning adapters are in the system; insist that the cable co install a new cable from the pole or utility/service source, maybe 2.

Splitters can be a problem, get them from the cable co, or ask what their spec is for splitters. Less loss is better.

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You don't need an adapter on the Premiere 4; it has built-in MoCA.

I had trouble with any powered splitters within the MoCA segment of my coax wiring. I don't think most powered splitters will pass the MoCA data.

4. Nutcase

Nutcase New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    I won't be running any tuning adapters (Comcast isn't doing SDV in my area). So is "from the pole or utility/service source" the same as the box that's sitting on the side of our building that feeds the three units? or are you saying they should pull new cable through the conduits that run under the sidewalk and feed all the buildings on the block?

Yeah, since the landlord insists that Comcast do any drilling, this wasn't going to be a self-install, so I'll just wait until they show up and hope they'll provide/sell me whatever is needed.

So the P4 can "bridge" (I think that's the term) the MoCA and ethernet sides if I connect both coax and the ethernet port? If so, I could put the adapter I bought for it on the P2 that's currently hooked into my other switch and take some of the traffic off the ethernet side of things.

Are you thinking that I might need a powered splitter because of the length of the cable run?

Thanks for your help.

5. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    That is good while it lasts; one less thing to cause problems, one less wall wart power supply to maintain.

In my case it's the cable from the utility pole to my house.
    The reason I bring it up is, the cable to my home was chewed by a rodent, and caused a problem with tv service.
    Internet did not appear to suffer from the damaged cable.

Let's hope that they "provide" the necessary hardware without extra charge.

6. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Yes, the P4 can bridge between Moca and Ethernet. (I've got a friend who's networked his enterainment center that way. Everything is connected to an Ethernet switch, but the uplink is via the P4's (actually in this case an Elite (P4XL)) moca.

Only minor annoyance is that if the TiVo reboots because of an update (or any other reason) you lose internet connectivity for the rest of the devices for a minute or two.

7. Nutcase

Nutcase New Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Good to know, but I think I'll go ahead and use the MoCA adapter with the P4 so if it's knocked out of commission, the rest of the boxes won't suffer.

8. fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    It's my understanding the MoCA devices connected to the outputs of a powered splitter can communicate (a powered splitter is basically an amp then a splitter) but a device connected to an output cannot communicate with a device connected to an input.