1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PyTiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by crxssi, Aug 21, 2013.

1. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    But will the new Roamio work with PyTiVo? Year after year I use PyTiVo more and more and can't live without it now!

2. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    I sooooooo Hope it works with PyTivo. :cool:

3. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    It's likely that it WILL work, I don't expect any changes in that realm of the software. We will find out tomorrow I imagine.

4. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm sure some of the overnighter shippers will fill in the blanks. As long as the file format and OS use the same build I think we are ok (fingers crossed).

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I can't imagine they would change that part of the software. If they did then they'd need to upgrade TiVo Desktop and they haven't done that in years.

6. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    But remember how it seems like they were trying to get rid of TiVo Desktop?

7. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Tivo Desktop Plus still exists, is supported, and available for purchase right now. Tivo killed the free version of TD.

Speculation is that it was a support issue with Windows 8. Windows 8 no longer ships with the necessary MPEG-2 codec, so Tivo would have to provide that with the free version, but since the license fee per user for MPEG-2 is a few bucks, Tivo made the choice to end the Free version, rather than having to worry about paying for codec licensing. TD Plus includes the codecs, so that's not an issue with the paid version.

8. mlippert

mlippert New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Ah, now that makes sense. I hadn't heard that before. Thanks.

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I guess nobody has a Roamio yet to test PyTiVo...

10. travisjb

travisjb New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I asked this of wmcbrine in another thread yesterday. He apparently has one on order and so I'm sure he'll have some things to say soon. Mine will arrive end of week and I'll update here if that's still necessary.

11. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek Reality Challenged

Nov 18, 2001
    Gulfport,...
    Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Assuming the cable card setup goes smoothly I should be able to report on pytivo functions tomorrow evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    pyTiVo uses the same basic technology as TiVo Desktop so I'm 99.9% sure it'll work fine. If it didn't then TiVo would have to release an update to TiVo Desktop and there is no sign of that.

13. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Win 8 doesn't have a free mpeg-2 codec? **** that! I hate my tablet 'cause I have to convert all my .Tivo and mpg recordings to mp4 (264). Does windows 8 seriously not have that? Sorry for the thread derail. My windows boxes are xp and 7.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Win8 doesn't have an MPEG-2 codec unless you install MCE. For a while MCE was free, but now it's a pay option. Part of the reason they separated MCE from the main product is so they didn't have to pay the MPEG-2 license fee for every copy of Windows they sold.

15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I use mplayer and/or vlc on Linux with the "tainted" repos... so I can play anything. I believe such options are available in MS-Windows, also, although I am not sure since I have never used it to play video before.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    .tivo files are encrypted and can only be played in a player that supports DirectShow. Media Player Classic might work, since it uses DS and has a built in MPEG-2 codec, but VLC wont. There are ways to decrypt .tivo files to standard .mpg or .ts files, but that's an extra step.

17. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    As would be expected, pyTivo works fine with Roamio Plus (push & pull). Haven't fully tested metadata but at least the basics are fine.

18. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yep, I use tivodecode to get rid of the DRM s***t:

http://tivodecode.sourceforge.net/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tivodecode/

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yay!!!!!!!!! Thanks for checking.

20. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    YESSSSS
    this makes me a happy camper and if you are in the MV area you must have COX too. :D