1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PyTivo With Tivo Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by cr33p, Mar 11, 2013.

1. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    With the new Tivo Mini are we able to see Pytivo shares?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Even if you could see them it won't do you any good as you can't transfer shows to a Mini. Best you could probably do for now is using Streambaby push capability to push files to series 4 units in the house which you can then play from the Mini using MRS. VidMgr has similar capabilities and relies on pyTivo to do the actual push so may also be an option. So kludges at best.

Especially now that Mini is released the series 4 platform is long overdue for a real streaming solution to be available (perhaps DLNA compliant) for streaming arbitrary shows on your home network.

3. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI

Yes, a DLNA solution would be amazing, a 50 dollar DVD player supports DLNA these days, Well that is quite disappointing, I don't do a ton of transfers, still a bummer. Lack of Netflix of the get is a pretty big let down as well.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Looking more and more like using a basic Tivo Premiere as a remote client is a better set of features than a Mini and not that much more money.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's double the cost when comparing the device price plus lifetime service on each one. Assuming you pick up a Premiere for only $100. But they are typically $150 which makes the cost plus lifetime even more than double the cost of a Mini with lifetime.

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Basic Tivo Premiere with lifetime is offered at $450 from Tivo pretty regular and at $400 on rare occaision. Still, you are right, its near double. But for $200 more, you get the additional tuners on your network, netflix support, OTA support, HME and HMO for streaming and network access. There is ALOT missing from the mini and even if they supported use with my existing Premieres, don't think I would consider the lack of function for the lower cost now that the feature set is known.

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I agree to a point. The Mini gives you a big performance boost when using HDUI and the Flash apps that are supported, so that is worth something though probably not $250. I'm considering getting a Mini to use as a front end for my sluggish Elite. With the Mini one can still indirectly use external video sources such as pyTivo shares by pushing videos to other Premieres in the house, so it's not completely useless on that front.

8. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    One of my premieres is on a 6.99 monthly plan, I am trying to determine which is a better option. I guess having more functions for the same price seems like a no brainer.