1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pyTivo - Transcoding server

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by armooo, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1 of 5683
    armooo

armooo pyTivo Developer

Feb 1, 2003
    pyTivo lets you stream most videos from your PC to your unhacked TiVo. It uses the HMO server protocol, so no hacking of the TiVo is required.

* It will guess if your video is 4:3 or 16:9 and pad your video if it thinks it is needed (looked good on my tests).
    * It will not transcode an mpeg that is supported by your TiVo.
    * It will stream TiVo recordings (.tivo).

http://pytivo.armooo.net/

* Master changes
    * Subfolder changes

Attached Files:

2. Nov 29, 2006 #2 of 5683
    armooo

armooo pyTivo Developer

Feb 1, 2003
    I did a bit of reading and it should like you need >= 7.2 for this to work. I have tested it on 7.3.1 and 8.1. I am curious if anyone else has had any luck with it.

3. Dec 13, 2006 #3 of 5683
    Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth MRV Junkie

Jun 14, 2005
    Fountain, CO
    I just tried this with an HR10-250 running 6.3b with the HMO/HME patches. "Video" shows up at the bottom on the NPL, but selecting it just reverts back to the NPL.

4. Dec 13, 2006 #4 of 5683
    cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    That's because this essentially uses the "GoBack" portion of TTG -- no TTG available on 6.3x.

5. Dec 20, 2006 #5 of 5683
    jasonpot

jasonpot New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Using your latest build. Works really good. Thank you so much

6. Dec 20, 2006 #6 of 5683
    TerminalE

TerminalE New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Kenosha, WI
    I am trying to run PyTivo w/Python 2.5 installed and am receiving the following error when entering the Tivo menu "Music & Photos":

C:\PyTivo\pyTivo\Cheetah\Compiler.py:1508: UserWarning:
    You don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! I'm disabling Cheetah's us
    eStackFrames option as it is painfully slow with the Python version of NameMappe
    r. You should get a copy of Cheetah with the compiled C version of NameMapper.
    "\nYou don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! "

Any thoughts

7. Dec 29, 2006 #7 of 5683
    abacus

abacus New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    I tried out pytivo and it appears to work OK. The problem I have is if I transfer a show and let it complete without viewing it it seems to disappear from my now playing list on the tivo. If I cancel the transfer part way through it stays in the Now playing list.

Anyone have this problem?

8. Jan 4, 2007 #8 of 5683
    armooo

armooo pyTivo Developer

Feb 1, 2003
    This is just a warning, I did not include the C version of NameMapper, but it will still work.

This is a side effect from not knowing the file size when I start streaming. If anyone has fix (or a thought on one) I would be happy to hear it.

I also added music (only mp3 now) support.

9. Jan 5, 2007 #9 of 5683
    abacus

abacus New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Any Idea why scrolling through files listed by PyTivo it takes so long. When I page down on Now Playing it takes 10-20 seconds for it to get file names. This happens every page down. It is a directory that has about 80 files.

10. Jan 5, 2007 #10 of 5683
    colin1497

colin1497 New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    FYI, I've got this up and running with my series 3 except (of course) that it doesn't work for video since this seems to be disabled on the S3's right now. Video shows up at the bottom of now playing but it just puts the transfer into the "todo" list and nothing ever happens. The MP3 functionality works fine.

11. Jan 5, 2007 #11 of 5683
    armooo

armooo pyTivo Developer

Feb 1, 2003
    It is filtering the files to only display supported files. And this is done by running ffmpeg on every file in the directory. I will look in to caching the results to speed it up.

Update: A new version is up that should be quicker.

12. Jan 5, 2007 #12 of 5683
    abacus

abacus New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Works much better now. Takes a while to come up at first, but scrolling works much better now. Thanks! :)

13. Jan 7, 2007 #13 of 5683
    turnipsun

turnipsun New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Santa Clarita
    Any Chance someone could compile a MAC client.

I try to run it, and every time Python just crashes..

Any advice would be awsome..

Chris

14. Jan 8, 2007 #14 of 5683
    KRKeegan

KRKeegan Im lost and confused

Jul 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    First nice work. I had to make 10-12 mods to get this to work on Linux(Debian/Sarge).

I found an error and I don't think this is your problem but a problem with TiVo.

Here is the issue. I have subfolders in my video directory. I can safely navigate to them and select videos to transcode.

However after I select a video in a subfolder if I chose "Continue browsing" TiVo then thinks I am at the base folder. When I use the left arrow to exit out of the folder TiVo never makes it out.

In fact what eventually happens is that the Now Playing screen is replaced with the base folder of the pyTivo Video folder. There appears no way to correct this problem without restarting the tivo.

I have not fiddled with it enough, but at first glance i dont know but maybe after selecting a video that the program return to the base folder????

Again I think this is more a glitch with TiVo but it would be nice to hack a solution since I doubt that this will be fixed by TiVo anytime soon.

15. Jan 8, 2007 #15 of 5683
    abacus

abacus New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    I found this happens too. The way I've gotten around it is by browsing another TiVo and then it will return the Now Playing list correctly. Beats having to restart.

16. Jan 8, 2007 #16 of 5683
    VinceA

VinceA New Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    I found that paging to the bottom on the list where Deleted Programs lies and just sitting there will cause the real list to regen eventually.

Other than that yesterday's build worked great for a variety of DiVx files. Any chance of including audio-transcoding like the WMA plugin for TiVoDesktop?

17. Jan 8, 2007 #17 of 5683
    KRKeegan

Jul 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks that worked well. Even just finding the same pyTivo Server at the bottom of the page selecting it and then exiting fixes it. That is much faster than restarting :p

Next problem. I can't seem to get the script to run as a daemon on linux. I mean it runs, and while I keep that terminal session alive it is fine. But once I exit that terminal it no longer works. If I ssh back in I can see 3 proceses of python still running, but it no longer loads on the TiVo.

Any suggestions, I am thinking maybe all the output that shows up in the terminal has no where to go and that causes an error. Do I need to go through and recode all lines that print to screen or is there a simple solution. I tried " > /dev/null" but that didnt solve anything.

Thanks again for your help.

18. Jan 8, 2007 #18 of 5683
    KRKeegan

Jul 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ok solved the daemon problem.

The key was:

pyTivo.py > /dev/null 2>&1 &

pyTivo kicks out a lot of errors and i didnt realize that > only kicks out the stdout 2> kicks out the stderr too.

Anyways, very excited i have a effortless Transcoding server running.

Thanks again armooo.

19. Jan 8, 2007 #19 of 5683
    EmptyH

EmptyH New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I downloaded and installed everything, customized pytivo.conf and ran pytivo.py. I've got the command window open (c:\python25\python.exe as the window title) with no errors displayed, but I do not see anything in my NPL.

I do see my other TiVo, so I know the network is still working. What am I doing wrong?

20. Jan 9, 2007 #20 of 5683
    KRKeegan

Jul 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry not running a PC, but it sounds like a firewall problem??? Make sure the port listed in pyTivo.conf is open.

Any other PC users have a comment?