1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PyTivo - Standard TV to 720p ???

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Morpheus101, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Using PyTivo: I have two files to transfer from my PC to my TiVo. One is 480? and the other is 720p, will PyTivo give me the higher resolution on the 720p, or will they be the same resolution?

Thanks...

2. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Is the 720p file in .mkv format? If so, I have never had good luck transferring .mkv files to ANY of my TiVos via PyTivo. While the video is OK, I wind up getting stuttering in the audio and its unwatchable.

480 material transfers fine. Its just the HD material that gives me issues when transferred through PyTivo (or even Streambaby).

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't really understand the question. But pyTivo doesn't downrez, unless you're sending to a Series 2 TiVo, or you explicitly told it to.

There is no general issue with MKV files, either.

4. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    It's a premireXL. So basically PyTiVo will stream the original files from my PC to the TiVO with no loss of original quality, based on the format (480, 720, 1080), by default?

I'm having no problems with .mkv files. However I do get a little jerky when I start the transfer from the Tivo and instantly watch. It clears up in less then a minute.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I wouldn't say that. It will retain the original resolution. But the files will be reencoded, unless they're already in the right format.

Also, if you're using a really old version of pyTivo, from before the Premiere was introduced, it won't recognize the Premiere as an HD unit, and will treat it as a Series 2. There is no reason for you to be running such an old version, but a few people are, so this still comes up occasionally. I mention it because I'm still wondering what prompted your question.

6. Morpheus101

Morpheus101 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I have two files; a 300Meg .avi and a 1GB .mkv, of the same video. Normally I stick to the smaller .avi files because I wasn't real sure if PyTiVo actually transfered the files any differently.

PyTivo is current.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    You should definitely see a difference.

For maximum quality, if these MKV files contain h.264 video, you may want to try pushing them from pyTivo's web interface instead of pulling them from the TiVo's UI. But it actually makes more of a difference in transfer speed than in PQ.

8. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    I pull 6Gig .mkv files from my mac and can watch in real time on a gigabit network. When the file is bigger than 10Gigs I need a buffer, earlier this week I transfered a 17Gig 3D .mkv file which need a 20 minute buffer.

Also I am transferring from a Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. I don't know if having a faster processor would make a difference.