1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pyTiVo Pushed Recording - not streamable on Ipad

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by markp99, Oct 9, 2013.

1. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I pushed a recording (.mp4) to my Roamio using pyTiVo. I notice I cannot stream this program (or any others like it) on an iPad. Only option is to watch now on the TV.

I am guessing there is video a format issue here that Roamio can decode on the fly, but ipad cannot handle.

Any suggestions to make .mp4 an iPad compatible format?

I'm guessing KMTTG can assist here, but my results with that tool have been meager so far.

Suggestions?

2. Alan_r

Alan_r New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Just a guess, but maybe it only supports streaming of .tivo files?

How about just trying kmttg to download that .mp4 as a .tivo (is that even possible?) then pushing it back in that format and try to stream?

3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    This is a known issue with the built-in stream in the Roamio's as well as the stand-alone streams; they are unable to stream native .mp4 files to an iPad. It's believed this is a software limitation and will eventually be fixed, but no one knows for sure at this point. The same problem is encountered by Tivo owners whose cable company has started to broadcast certain channels in H.264 (.mp4); recordings from H.264 channels cannot be streamed to an iPad.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If you're making mp4 files why push them to the TiVo and then the iPad? Just transfer to the iPad directly assuming they are iPad compatible to begin with.

If you must go the pyTivo route then PULL them to the TiVo so they are transcoded to mpeg2 (assuming you don't use ts=on setting), and then you can stream that to the iPad.

5. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Wife wanted to stream that program while I watched baseball.

Just tried pulling from TiVo then stream to ipad. Worked.

Thanks

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You could watch them in e.g. VLC directly on your iPad. You can quickly transfer them to the iPad in iTunes.. select iPad, select Apps "Tab", go down to the apps section at the bottom, select VLC, and drag the file to the right column.. Sounds like a lot of steps, but it is easy.

I use this for SOME shows instead of directly transferring with Tivo Stream, since with VLC, I can play faster than realtime with sound (which is useful for talk shows & the fluff of reality shows).

7. mike1273

mike1273 New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Just stream the m4vs to iPad with Air Video.

8. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
  9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I may try out that VLC streamer.. But I wonder if it's fast enough... When I tried downloading over a "direct" wifi connection (private network created by the computer), it took FOREVER to download.. drag & drop in iTunes was much much faster.