1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PyTivo page reported unsafe by Norton Internet Security

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by bgc, Feb 13, 2012.

1. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
  2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I'm not convinced. False positive?

From the description:

"Trojan.ADH is a detection technology designed to detect entirely new malware threats without traditional signatures. This technology is aimed at detecting malicious software that has been intentionally mutated or morphed by attackers. "

Detecting viruses without signatures sounds a little iffy to me.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I contacted them to get it reevaluated. In the meantime I went ahead and deleted the three-year-old version of the pyTivo Windows Installer that it was complaining about, along with the other (even older) versions in that folder -- I didn't even realize that stuff was still there. But the old .exe was still coming up if you went to pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/download (nee pytivo.krkeegan.com/download), which was the source of the "drive-by download" complaint. That link will come up 404 now, so I hope that satisfies them. (I'm not quite sure how to kill the redirect entirely...)

4. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I had the pytivo page bookmarked and accidentally clicked it when I got the warning. I recently upgraded to NIS 2012 from 2011. I went to the pytivo page many times a few weeks ago while still using NIS 2011 and didn't get any warnings at that time.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes, undoubtedly they changed their detection methods (to something bogus). I don't think those files were ever infected.

Anyway, they've given it the OK now.