1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pyTivo, mkv and subtitles

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by getgray, Jun 6, 2012.

1. getgray

getgray New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I am trying to get some Japanese Anime onto my Tivo that has english subtitles.

When loading the mkv directly to the Tivo, it plays fine, albeit without subtitles.

I have carefuly followed the Kleiman's guide here:
    http://mkleiman.com/pytivo_subtitles_guide.html

I can play the mkv on my XP PC without issue, it shows subtitles. It plays via/invokes windows media player.

After installing ffdshow I was able to play the .avs file created per the guide. The .avs file in it's entirety contains:
    DirectShowSource("T:\torrent-completed\test.mkv", convertfps=true)

When I try to play the avs file (also WMP) however, I do not get subtitles.

Per the guide I tried adding "eng" to the Haali Media Splitter options, but that didn't fix it.

Meanwhile, From the Tivo, I can see the share where the share where the .avs file is located, but it reports "no files".

How can I get the Tivo to "see" the .avs file? What am I missing? What other information can I provide to get help?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I haven't ever tried the approach that mkleiman uses, but I do prep my H.264/MP4 files with hardcoded subtitles. To use his approach, I think you need to have avisynth installed and working, correct? If so, then you can download vsfilter and add the dll to the avisynth 2.5/plugins directory. Then you need to extract a copy of the subtitle file.

With that, you can build an avs script that reads like this:
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("T:\torrent-completed\test.mkv", convertfps=true)
    Textsub("T:\torrent-completed\test.srt")
    Where test.srt is the name of your subtitle. That should work to hardcode the subtitles into your video.

3. getgray

getgray New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Thank you. I got it to work. Had 2 things wrong. A typo in share name (that fixed the Tivo access), and a setting in the splitter program (autoload vsfilter). Now, I load from bittorrent, use a utility to auto-create the avs files for all the respective downloads, and push to tivo. No substantial extra work.

4. ericl007

ericl007 New Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Hi, I just tried this but got a copyright error i the new directory created. any work around ?