1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pyTiVo media show up as an HD menu from Now Playing

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by engineerboy, Aug 17, 2013.

1. engineerboy

engineerboy New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I use pyTiVo in concert with several Premiere units, and have an aesthetic question. Everything works great, however when I navigate to an instance of pyTiVo in my Now Playing list, the list of movies/videos that are presented by pyTiVo show up as a non-HD menu, which is noticeably lower resolution/fidelity/attractiveness when compared to the rest of the HD menus.

Is there a setting in pyTiVo such that when you browse to it in Now Playing it will list its contents in an HD, or at least higher-res, menu than the default?

I did some legwork looking for an answer to this and couldn't find anything, so I figure it's either simply not possible, or so simple that nobody else has had to ask about it and I'm just a dumb___. But, I hope that it's possible.

If it's not possible, are there any other home server TiVo streaming solutions that do show up as HD menus?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    This was TiVo's choice, not ours. All HMO servers will show up this way. Even Series 3 and 2 TiVos do, too.

HME-based apps can render the interface of their choice. But, they lack the ability to pull video directly from them to the NPL. Instead, they must either stream, or push.

3. engineerboy

engineerboy New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Okay, thanks. And thanks for your pyTiVo work, great stuff.

4. travisjb

travisjb New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    wmcbrine- long time pytivo user never had a chance to say thanks, so thanks!

wondering if anyone has a clue about pytivo compatibility with the new roamio i have on order... any reason to suspect it would not work?

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I've ordered a Roamio. We'll know soon enough.

My guess is that it will work like a Premiere, but with even faster transfers, and maybe an HD menu.

6. travisjb

travisjb New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Awesome, thanks... perhaps Roamio's best endorsement! :)

Should we look for your update here?

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    It's really not an endorsement -- more like an evaluation.

Here, there, and everywhere.

8. rassi

rassi Member

Jul 18, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Can't wait...this is a key point for me on if I get a Roamio....

9. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    HMO menu for PyTivo is still SD on the Roamio. Seems the HD interface is STILL not finished. (we already knew the settings screens were SD from the reviews).

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm pretty sure that Roamios and Premieres use the MindRPC stuff to talk to one another and that's why they can can properly display the HDUI. TiVoToGo and the older TiVo models don't use MindRPC so they still show the old SDUI.

I wonder if there is some hidden way to use MindRPC for TiVoToGo that we just don't know about yet? Or if TiVoToGo has pretty much been abandoned for streaming?