1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pyTiVo Folder Won't show up on Premiere Now Playing List

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Jonathan S, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mar 6, 2017 #1 of 11
    Jonathan S

Jonathan S New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    I've had my Premiere for a while, and I also have a TiVo HD, and I've had other TiVo's before that. Anyway, I always used to use TiVo Desktop to let me pull content from my computer to the TiVos. Recently, I updated my PC to Win10 and reinstalled TiVo Desktop Plus 2.8.3. It simply won't connect to the TiVo servers with my credentials. I've given up. I tried Plex. After supplying my 4 digit code and connecting to my account, it would just time out and throw an error. Gave up on that. I then tried pyTiVo. This seemed most promising. Right away, I was able to see both of my TiVos in the house and and pull programs from the TiVos. That's all nice, but I really need a way to get content from my PC back to the TiVo. I can get the pyTiVo videos folder to show up on the Now Playing List on my older HD , but no videos in the folder enumerate. No video folder ever shows up on my Premiere Now Playing List. The Push option doesn't show up on pyTiVo either. I'm really baffled. I feel like I'm doing everything right. I've tweaked firewall rules, I've disabled the firewall. Nothing works.

2. Mar 6, 2017 #2 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Make sure that you have under your Tivo.com account, under DVR Preferences, that your Tivo boxes are checked for transfer/sharing, etc. If you made any changes, make Tivo service connections on ALL your Tivos. A reboot may also be necessary.

3. Mar 6, 2017 #3 of 11
    Jonathan S

Jonathan S New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I confirmed that video sharing/enable video downloads were both already checked.

4. Mar 6, 2017 #4 of 11
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What 4 digit code did you try? Because there is no 4 digit code to get in the Tivo, except for parental controls.

You do need the 10 digit Media Access Key (MAK) to access it.

What about a reboot on the Premiere.

5. Mar 7, 2017 #5 of 11
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The 4-digit code was for Plex.

He is able to pull recordings from his TiVo, so the MAK is correct.

To the OP: After redacting sensitive info (user ID, password and MAK), post your pyTivo.conf file.

6. Mar 7, 2017 #6 of 11
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Push is dead, sorry. So, you won't see those menus (unless you're using an older version, in which case, you might see them, but they won't actually work).

Intermittent failure of the shares to appear is pretty common, but by no means universal, with any model of TiVo; and I can only offer generic advice like: avoid wireless connections, and make sure your router can pass multicast. Otherwise, it's, reboot the TiVo(s) and/or restart pyTivo until the shares appear.

As for failure of videos to appear in the share, I'd have to see the log.

7. Mar 7, 2017 #7 of 11
    Jonathan S

Jonathan S New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Got it working. Thanks everybody. Turns out that I had an old static route on my PC for my work VPN that was interfering. I took that out, and it started working.

I have another question. I added a photos folder into pyTivo, but I don't know where that is supposed to show up on the TiVo Now Playing list.

8. Mar 8, 2017 #8 of 11
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Photos do not show in the Shows list. Find it from the main menu.

9. Mar 8, 2017 #9 of 11
    Jonathan S

Jonathan S New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Yeah, I forgot where that got moved. Thanks for the reminder. Everything is working fine now.

10. Jonathan S

Jonathan S New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Photos display nicely on my TiVo, but it seems to me that the old TiVo Desktop software had a Photos 2.0 Java app that displayed the photos at an even higher resolution on the TiVo. Is there a way to make PyTiVo serve up the photos at an even higher res.?

11. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Yeah, HD Photos is an HME app written in Java, that uses an HMO server as the backend. So, you can in fact rip it out of TiVo Desktop, and point it at pyTivo instead. I'd have to reconstruct how to do this, but as I recall it was pretty simple. (Basically, you need to make a new .jnlp file.) The nice thing is that it will run even on platforms where TiVo Desktop won't (Linux, Mac, etc.), alongside pyTivo.

I've meant to write my own HD photo viewer, but never got around to it.