1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pyTiVo (and / or Desktop) Randomly Deletes *ALL* Non-KUID Files...

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ClearToLand, Jun 19, 2017.

1. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Initially, months ago, I thought this only happened when I attempted to d/l / view 'non-TiVo' files (i.e. .TS files created by my Hauppauge PVR-1212) but now it happened when I attempted to view a pyTiVo Desktop v1.62 (TS) file that *FINALLY* d/l'd without errors.

Anyone else have *ALL* their non-KUID files deleted, with NOTHING in 'Recently Deleted' to recover?

Reminds me why I switched the majority of my shows to KUID...

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its not PyTivo or Desktop that deleted your shows, its the TiVo itself. When its getting full, it will delete shows that's not set to KUID, AFTER it cleared out the Recently Deleted folder, followed by any suggestions WHEN it needs the space for upcoming shows in the next few days. TiVo will also stop recording any more shows when its run out of space with KUID.

It must be getting pretty full to do that.

Best way to preserve the shows is to transfer then to a PC drive instead of using the TiVo as a storage device. Unless they are copy protected.

3. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Your title is a lie. PP already said. Tivo is deleting your shows..

Your solution, marking most shows kuid, is causing the problem. Tivo assumed you'll never delete kuid. It needs to make room for kuid shows scheduled to record. Due to a bug, or feature,. Tivo overestimates. At one point TiVo deleted enough so there was enough space for every kuid on your to do list.

TiVo works better if you use limit use of kuid

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    pyTivo doesn't have the capability to delete recordings, so your title is not even possible.

kmttg uses an API capable of deleting recordins, but I've never seen it happen. Other then that the only software capable of deleting recordings are the mobile apps.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Could uploading files from pyTivo to a DVR trigger housecleaning by the DVR, eliminating non-KUID content? What if the user queues a large number of transfers or a few particularly large files? (Though I'm thinking with "push" broken, any transfers would need to be initiated at/by the DVR, right, so not a pyTivo issue.)

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes, that could. In fact, IIRC, TiVo significantly over estimates the size of transfers so doing so could potentially cause the issue the OP described.

OP if you're that low on space you should consider upgrading your hard drive. I never allow my TiVo to go above 70%. At that point you run the risk of losing stuff unexpectedly. Also, setting individual recordings to KUID is OK but setting SPs to KUID can cause all sorts of weird issues. As lew explained TiVo will start deleting things to make room for those recordings as soon as they show up in the ToDo List, which can cause all sorts of unexpected behavior.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    ClearToLand likes this.