1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Put HD XL hard drive in XL?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by paulistano, Jul 31, 2013.

1. paulistano

paulistano New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have an HD XL and was recently gifted an HD with lifetime service. I've seen lots of posts about upgrading to non-TiVo hard drives, but can't find anything about swapping drives between TiVos.

Is this easy to do?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you do that, they need to be the exact Tivo model, (TCDxxxxxx), but then you must do Clear & delete everything, or else it will not be able to record and update.

3. paulistano

paulistano New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Damn. So there's no way at all to make it work?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo is hardware-specific and also software-specific. In other words, the software in the HD XL (TCD658000) drive will not work in a HD (TCD652160) Tivo, and vice versa.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That depends on your definition of "work".

I have an HD XL image that I put on a drive and stuck in an HD just as an experiment, and it sort of booted, but if I'd let it connect to the TiVo servers I'm sure it would have led to disaster in short order.

If that HD XL is on monthly, that lifetimed HD will qualify you for the MSD deduction on the XL.

Of course if your goal is to retire the XL and save the monthly payment and avoid laying out any cash for a bigger drive for the HD, then it's doable, but you'll need a PC to which you can attach hard drives other than the one you boot it from.

You should make a backup truncated image off of the 1TB drive out of the XL.

Then you can overwrite the XL's drive with the stuff on the HD's drive, and then expand into the other 840GB.

But if you can afford it, I'd recommend finding a new WD20EURS 2TB drive on sale somewhere for around $100 and putting that into the lifetimed HD.

You'll have twice as much space on a new drive with a 3 year warranty.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Here is how to make it work:

Purchase a new 2TB drive and upgrade the lifetime box. Sell the other box.

7. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Yup, and if necessary, subscribe both Tivo's for a month while you transfer the recordings via TTG. Or use KMTTG or desktop to move the recordings to a PC. If the recordings won't move then they were lost either way. The encryption chip wouldn't have moved with the harddrive.