1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psych: The Musical OAD 12/15/2013 (spoiler free first post only)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cstelter, Dec 16, 2013.

1. cstelter

cstelter Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    Figured I'd find a thread on this... maybe Psych is too long in the tooth these days. I only started watching 1.5 years ago via netflix, so I guess it still seems a bit fresh to me.

Anyway, I wasn't out looking for this episode, my DVR just picked it up. If you missed it, it is probably on USA's website and will be rebroadcast nest Sunday it looks like.

I know I saw a comic con panel on you tube some time ago and they were talking about a musical, so it seems they finally followed through.

I promised spoiler free in the first post so that's all I'll comment about for this post...

2. cstelter

cstelter Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    As for the episode... I didn't dislike it but it seems like they could have given it more 'wow'. I did enjoy that they brought yang back and the actual mystery wasn't bad at all.

I really couldn't recall the whole Yang plot as that was only one ep in each of the first 3 seasons-- I thought she was not the main villain and couldn't remember what happened to the actual villain so at first I thought this Z was that main bad guy so I was a bit confused during most of the ep.

It seemed to me that every musical number was the exact same melody with new lyrics. I did like the instructional song about how to put anything to music, though and the background dancing and somewhat awkward choreography was amusing. I know Gus and Shawn have done a number of a capella numbers with quartets and thought they sounded good. I guess I was maybe expecting more harmonizing and more singing in parallel than we got (ala Les Mis or what not).

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    For me, it REALLY dragged. I think they should have chopped at least a half hour out of this. As it was, it just felt incredibly bloated.

Also, for a musical, I expected, you know, more music. For instance, Anthony Rapp (the "villain") was woefuly underused in this... and then, unless I'm mistaken, they didn't even have Barry Bostwick sing at all?

Of the three shows that I have seen that have done musical episodes ("Buffy," "Scrubs," and this), this was the worst of the batch.

4. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I like the show but detest musical episodes like this. Canceled the recording before it could infect my hard drive.

Jazz hands!!!!!

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I got about two thirds in before falling asleep.

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    My biggest problem with this was that it didn't fit into the continuity of the series. Juliet didn't know Shawn is a fraud, Chief Vick was still there, etc. I don't see why that happened. Did they plan this for a year ago, but post-production took significantly longer than they expected?

7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Apparently the episode has been in the can, complete, for quite a while.

8. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    +1

9. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Re-reading my post, I just realized that it is a threadcrap (for just this episode, but still...).

For that I apologize.

10. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Is Psych done as a show? I know the girl is on that show with James Caan, even though that has been cancelled.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  12. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    There were a few moments where they used the "musical" thing to good effect -- most notably Corbin Bernsen's part at the beginning, and McNair getting stopped twice. But by and large, they really wasted it. It was just an episode thinned out (there was a lot less detecting going on), stretched out (sure took a long time to get to it), and then with music stuck in for no good reason.

Sean usually gets it wrong a couple of times before the end of each episode, but, man, was he on a long streak of being wrong over and over. It was getting embarrassing.

I do have to admit I was surprised at how well most of them pulled off the song and dance. Lassiter in particular had a really impressive voice (though Juliet was straining). I kept thinking some characters were avoiding singing because the actor couldn't do it, then being surprised when they could.

All in all, kind of disappointing. I might have liked it more if I liked musicals, I suppose. The ME's song, and Yang's song after death, were especially egregious. Desperately in need of being cut.