1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Runway Season 12 - all season thread - spoilers to date!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murgatroyd, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Jul 19, 2013 #1 of 102
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Yes, it's another dreaded Project Runway all-season thread. :p

Once again, a modest proposal: if you are the person starting the conversation about the current week's episode, it really really really helps the people who are watching 'behind' if you put the OAD and episode title in the post title field. That gives a nice, bold delineation showing that the episode has aired.

Like so:

"Road to the Runway Season 12" OAD 7/18/13 (8 PM)
    "Sky's the Limit" episode 1201 OAD 7/18/13 (9 PM)

And now --

LOTS of changes this season.

• a WHITE runway! hooray!
    • viewers vote to bring back a designer from a previous season
    • designers manage their own budget
    • Tim Gunn gets to put his two cents in during the judges' deliberations
    • Tim has one big SAVE he can pull out during the season
    • judges get to see the clothes close-up after the runway show is over
    • viewers can vote along with the runway show live and the like/dislikes show on screen during some of the shots at the end of the episode

Did you watch the episodes yet? Discuss!

2. Jul 19, 2013 #2 of 102
    lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    -They said designers have a budget for the entire season, but that didn't say what that budget is.
    -Love that they get to look at the clothes up close after the runway show. I always wonder how much designers get away with because the judges only see the clothing briefly on the runway from a distance.
    -Oh that poor model with wacky "sustainable" designer. Poor poor thing. I hope he relents and allows at least minimal makeup and hair. I love that the judges called him out on what he was wearing.

3. Jul 19, 2013 #3 of 102
    Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Tim (Not Gunn) - I dub thee Eco-*****..

Vagina Drop...I had to google that one to make sure it wasn't an obscure fashion term! :D

4. Jul 19, 2013 #4 of 102
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    When does it /did it start?

5. Jul 19, 2013 #5 of 102
    Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    last night. There will be repeat during the weekend I'm sure.

6. Jul 19, 2013 #6 of 102
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    The season pass may or may not have picked it up. I will check it out tonight. And yes, they always repeat it. If not over the weekend at least just before the newest one next week.

7. Jul 20, 2013 #7 of 102
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    "Road to the Runway" was followed by the first episode.

8. Jul 20, 2013 #8 of 102
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    I have to say that I am very optimistic for a very good season here. I know last year I nearly bailed because of the lack of interesting characters/designs and I see a lot of potential so far with this bunch.

And of course more Tim is always a good thing!

9. Jul 20, 2013 #9 of 102
    paracelsus

paracelsus Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I do like that the judges get to examine the clothes up close now - I could never understand how some of the last minute hot glue fixes ever made it through previous shows.

Ecoguy? Wish he had been sent home instead.

10. Jul 20, 2013 #10 of 102
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Watched it last night. TiVo was smart after all and recorded it!

Loved the first episode but can't figure out how the russian guy could send a model out like that and not get sent home. Same for the guy that burnt his material. I loved that they countered that with burning the parachute caused more fumes into the air and defeated his purpose. LOL.

It will be an interesting group and the changes are good one. I love that the judges look at the dresses afterwards. Nice.

11. Jul 20, 2013 #11 of 102
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Yeah, I thought Zac deserved major points for that comeback. :up:

I hope Designer Green lasts long enough for at least one trip to Mode where he pulls fabric from dead stock. Yes, he's annoying as crap, but I want to see what he comes up with.

(Confession: can't stay away from the remnant bin myself. :eek: )

12. Jul 20, 2013 #12 of 102
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I also could not believe they kept "Borat" (yes, I know he is Russian, not from Kazakhstan) - but that is my nickname for the Russian guy-with his mustache and his poor model standing there with her "vagine" - with the black bar over it....that was coo coo bananas! He can't edit himself!
    Anyhoo-I like the changes. YAY for more Tim Gunn, it's about time he got invited to the "adult's table!"

13. Jul 20, 2013 #13 of 102
    Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I like all the changes also - except I was thinking Michael Kors was coming back for this season so that was a little disappointing.

Sustainable dude has to go - what's his name? Jeremy?

It was odd that I liked him during the road to the runway and when he and the other Milwaukee designer had that moment and she said he was a ****** I thought to myself - what's her problem - and then came the rest of the episode to realize she was right in her assessment.

I agree this season looks promising so far...

14. Jul 20, 2013 #14 of 102
    tem

tem Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    another change is that they don't know what designer did what piece while they go down the runway. The judges only find out after.

15. Jul 20, 2013 #15 of 102
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Well, they say it's anonymous, but I am sure they could get a good idea by looking at which designer is staring most intently at the model, and/or who is holding their breath, etc etc. I am sure they try to remain impartial, but don'cha think they can get a good inkling? :rolleyes:

16. Jul 21, 2013 #16 of 102
    USAFSSO

USAFSSO New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Las Cruces, NM
    When did the season start. I don't even have this channel in my list. But for some ungodly reason I like this show. I guess I only watch it for Tim...Designerss...Make it work.

17. Jul 21, 2013 #17 of 102
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    The designers don't have very good poker faces. :p

The producers have shot themselves in the foot here, because I bet they still do want those "oh my garment looked so fabulous going down the runway, I'm so happy" reaction shots.

So if the designers do learn not to give the whole show away, the producers will be screwed. :D

Edited to add: since so many people have asked "when does / did it start" I have added the episode titles to the opening post.

18. Jul 21, 2013 #18 of 102
    gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I almost gave up last season as well. But this one does look promising.

Man is the sustainable guy the most annoying contestant ever! Yes ever! Even his high heels at the runaway annoyed the crap out of me.

Once again, as always, they eliminate the wrong person. Obviously for drama's sake. If you saw the previews for this season it pays off.

19. Jul 21, 2013 #19 of 102
    lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If the designers keep the same models, how is it hidden from the judges who the designer is?? Or was that just for this first challenge?

20. Jul 21, 2013 #20 of 102
    tem

tem Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    hmm ... good point. maybe it was just for the first challenge.