1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with upcoming Optimum change

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dowlingg, Aug 4, 2012.

1. dowlingg

dowlingg New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I recently received this letter from Cablevision (Optimum) --

"Important Information About Your Cable Service: As of
    August 21, 2012, all of your televisions will require a digital
    cable box in order to continue to receive service. Without a
    digital cable box, your TV cannot access iO TV (access is
    limited with a CableCARD)."

I have 2 Tivo's in my house -- but what concerns me is my "older" one (Series 2 DT DVR). It is currently set up with two inputs -- one directly via coax to the DVR, and the other through the cable box to the DVR. That allows me to tape 2 shows simultaneously (which has become more common in the past few seasons). As of 8/21, the direct connection will no longer work. I had this verified by the cable rep.

It sounds to me there are only 2 options left to me (unless I am missing something here) -- either purchase a 2nd cable box (which Cablevision will provide free for 1 year) or upgrade this Tivo to a new one. This particular TV is not a HDTV... yet.

Thoughts?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Your Series 2 (dual or single tuner) will not be able to use 2 cable boxes. It can only control 1 cable box. Your DT will become a single tuner Tivo. If you upgrade to a Series 3/HD or Premiere (Series 4), they use a multi-stream cable card, with exception of the Series 3 OLED which uses 2 cable cards. You can put the 2nd cable box on the TV directly so you can watch while the Tivo is recording something else.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    What is iO TV? And what limits will be on the cablecard? Maybe SDV/TA?

You may want to wait and see what happens. Many cable providers send this message out and then continue to provide the analog version of the local OTA channels.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I believe it's just what Optimum calls its cable tv service like Comcast now calls theirs Xfinity.

5. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    Usually they will say CableCARD has limited access due to its lack of support for video on demand and pay-per-view.

A tuning adapter (TA) may be needed if channels you want are on switched digital video (SDV). These are only used with Series 3/4 TiVos and CableCARDs.

6. rlefevre

rlefevre New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I'm using Cablevision in Arizona and they switched us to digital signals in July.
    They gave us small adapter/tuner boxes that go between the cable and my Tivo series 2 DT unit.
    These Adapter/tuner boxes don't allow the use of the builtin Tivo tuner, so the only thing my Tivo can do is record whatever channel the adapter/tuner box is set for. I'm currently looking for something that will convert the digital signals and allow Tivo to select the digital channel.
    Right before the digital signal change i had done the "$99 for life" upgrade. :confused:
    Anyone know of some piece of equipment that converts the digital signal and allows Tivo to change the channels?

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It depends on what model Tivo you are using. With the Premiere, or an older Series 3/HD, you need cable cards and maybe a tuning adapter.