1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with actor wishlist

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Joe Siegler, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler New Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I wanted to create a wish list for the actress Michelle Ryan. However, when I did, the TiVo wouldn't let me pick that. It seems to be insisting that I pick "Ryan Michelle Bathe".

See attached. I can't figure out how to add Michelle Ryan. I'm probably missing something,but I'd like to know. Tkx.

image-2001361814.jpg

2. chimerax

chimerax New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am a TiVo user. I would like to share my experience with TiVo and learn some tips from this forum.
    In the wish list search try typing the first name instead of last name and see if the actor is listed. If you cannot have the actor name listed try these methods. Use either THUMBS up or down buttons on your remote control to get even better results. Press SELECT to edit a term, then press a THUMB up button once to exclude it from your search (adds a minus sign). Press again to make the term optional in your search (puts it in parenthesis). Press three times to remove the modifiers and make the term required for your search. For example, your Wish List search might include:
    Title Keyword: -ER
    Actor: George Clooney
    This search will find all appearances of George Clooney except for those in the series ER.
    Use asterisks when you are looking for a range of similar words, or are uncertain of the spelling of a word or words. For example, the keyword AIRP* will find shows containing airport, airplane, or airplanes, as well as the movie Airplane!
    Hope this will help.

3. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler New Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    I don't see what that has to do with the question I asked at all.

4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Weird, I'll have to try and remember to look when I get home. But I remember being able to force the TiVo to take what I typed rather than picking from the list.

(But it's been so long I don't remember how. Or if there were valid entries left; maybe that option only shows up if there are no matches? :confused:)

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Fwiw, I just tried this exact search and had no issues.

6. chimerax

chimerax New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    :eek::confused:
    I saw the picture. It doesn't show your favorite actors name which you want to add to your list. TiVo is having different search options. So I thought of giving you some suggestions so you can find your actors name in search list.

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I played around with it last night. It appears that you can only override the list and go with a fully manually types name if it doesn't match an entry on the list.

So if you've got a situation where the actor/actress you want to wishlist isn't on the list, but their full name doesn't eliminate all incorrect options, then I couldn't find any way to force the TiVo to take what you'd typed. If there are any list options it forces you to select from the list.

I even tried to see if editing the wishlist would let me get around the limitation but it wouldn't. (I tried both accepting an incorrect name from the list, and typing an extra charactor to empty the list. In either case when I went to edit it used the same text+list setup and I was forced to select from the list if any list options remained)

8. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler New Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    Exactly. You worded it better than me, but that's essentially the scenario I ran into. I can't find a way around this.

9. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Just enter Michelle Ryan as a Keyword.

10. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler New Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    That won't work when you want to have her as part of a list of other actors. I have a list of about 25-30 actors in a single wishlist entry, of which she is one.

At least I don't think it will.

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    In that case you probably want the entry to be optional, so just enter (Michelle Ryan) as a Keyword.

For all practical purposes, the only difference between an actor keyword and a keyword is that the actor keyword section is set up to help you find names quicker by giving you a list.