1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with a few Fios HD channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by David_SG, Oct 24, 2012.

1. David_SG

David_SG New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    McLean, VA
    I have a Premier XL4 with Fios. Initially, everything was working fine. Then the issue with the HBO channels appeared over the summer, but that was quickly solved by calling Fios and pairing the card.

But immediately after that, I lost the ability to watch a few HD channels - namely, TNT, NFL Network, one of my HBO channels, and most recently, AMC HD. When I go to any of those channels, I see a black screen and a message "Problem with the signal on this channel - trying again".

This really has me baffled. I was hoping the problem would go away when we moved into our new house a month ago, but no such luck. So that tells me it isn't a problem with the coax or the feed since it has occurred in two separate locations. And I recently swapped in a new cable card but have the same problem. Of course, Verizon hasn't been helpful. I haven't tried contacting TiVo support - will do that next.

Anybody have a similar problem? Any suggestions? Apologies if this particular issue has been discussed before.

2. radish

radish Honourable Member

Dec 21, 2001
    NJ, USA
    The only thing I can think of is to repeat guided setup to make sure you're using the correct channel mappings.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I hate to say it, but unfortunately this sounds like a flaky TiVo. Standard troubleshooting procedures: when moving components around, the trouble will ordinarily follow the failed component. In this case, the trouble seems to be following the TiVo, not the CATV system or the CableCard. Check to make sure your RF levels are not too high or too low, and just to be sure, have them swap out the CableCard again. Beyond that, it really sounds like the TiVo.

4. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What is the signal level on the channels that work and the ones that do not? It might be a low signal.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Or just as likely, signal levels that are too high across the board.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Any chance those channels got changed over to SDV and the cable company forgot to tell you?

Or maybe even forgot to tell their CSRs?

7. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    unitron, FIOS does not use SDV.

8. David_SG

David_SG New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    McLean, VA
    Signal level is always between 91 and 94 on all channels - whether they work or not. I repeated the guided set-up and also tried using a signal attenuator - nothing works. Next step is to try a different TiVo and see if that fixes the problem. I believe I purchased an extended warranty from TiVo so if a new TiVo does the trick, maybe I can get TiVo to replace my box. Or at the very least, let me transfer my lifetime service to a new box.

9. David_SG

David_SG New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    McLean, VA
    Update - just got the new Fall update. Problem fixed. Very odd, but I'll take it!